- Official transcripts from all insitutions of higher education attended *
- 3.0 or higher GPA in the most recent 30 credits
- Completed application form (online or download)
- An essay describing your beliefs about teaching/learning and your reasons for wishing to enroll in the M.Ed. program
- Two letters of reference from individuals who can speak to your ability to be successful in a graduate program and your effectiveness as a teacher
- One reference from a principal with whom you have worked.
- One reference from one of your college professors or a colleague.
The information listed above should be submitted electronically or mailed to:
The College of Idaho
2112 Cleveland Blvd.
Caldwell, ID 83605-4432
The Master of Education Curriculum & Instruction program consisting of 36 credits with concentrations in Bilingual Education and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages prepares already certified teachers to effectively educate culturally and linguistically diverse students in a variety of classroom contexts. Successful completion of the program fulfills the Idaho State Department of Education requirements for a K-12 endorsement in English as a New Language (ENL). An additional six upper division credits in Spanish, will meet the requirements for an additional endorsement in Bilingual Education. The program aims to provide significant theoretical perspectives from the research literature surrounding second language acquisition and educational model designs, while maintaining a strong focus on classroom practice and application.
- EDUSPA-101 Spanish for Educators I (1 cr)
- EDUSPA-102 Spanish for Educators II (1 cr)
- EDUSPA-103 Spanish for Educators III (2 cr)
- EDU-501 Teaching in a Diverse Society (3 cr)
- EDU-502 Theoretical Foundations for Bilingual Educ. & ESL (3 cr)
- EDU-503 Second Language Acquisition Theory & Practice (3 cr)
- EDU-504 Multicultural Literature for Children & Adolescents (3 cr)
- EDU-505 Foreign Language ESL & Bilingual Methods (3 cr)
- EDU-512 Linguistics (3 cr)
- EDU-513 Curriculum Design (3 cr)
- EDU-598 Field Experience (1 cr)
- EDU-599 Practicum (1 cr)
- EDU-612 Research Methods & Design (3 cr)
- EDU-698 Research Seminar (1 cr; 3 required)
- EDU-6349 Current Trends in Education (3 cr)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Written and Oral Communication
- Problem Solving
- Analytical Reasoning
- Critical Thinking
- Describe the leading theories of language acquisition.
- Describe the relationship among language, thought, and culture.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct and evaluate research