About The College of Idaho
The College of Idaho is a private, liberal arts institution located in Caldwell, Idaho. Founded in 1891, the college is home to nearly 1000 undergraduate students and is the state's oldest four-year institution of higher learning.
The college has been accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities since 1922. Our teacher education program has been approved by the Idaho State Department of Education since 1913, and our graduates are eligible for certification in all states participating in the Interstate Certification Compact.
The 50-acre park-like campus is composed of tree-lined paths that join five dormitories, playing fields, academic buildings, an amphitheater, and a student union. In the past 10 years, six major building projects have transformed The College of Idaho into one of the most beautiful campuses in the Pacific Northwest. The college's newest facilities include a renovated student union and computer center, a performing and fine arts center, an athletic activities center, an international center, and "The Village," two apartment-like residence halls.
Located on the western Snake River plain between the foothills of the Boise Ridge and the Owyhee Mountains, Caldwell is a city of more than 40,000. We are 30 minutes from Boise--Idaho's rapidly growing capital and home to museums, shopping, concerts, fine arts events, restaurants, and high-tech industries. The campus is also a short drive from ski resorts, high plains deserts, mountains, and whitewater rivers. Other unique and nearby attractions include the Snake River Birds of Prey Area, petroglyphs, and rock climbing opportunities.
The College of Idaho marks its beginning six years before Idaho's statehood when the Presbyterian Church's Wood River Presbytery, meeting in Shoshone, formed a commission to examine the possibility of establishing a Presbyterian college somewhere in the Idaho Territory.
The commission found support for such a venture and in 1890 the Presbytery accepted an offer from a group of Caldwell citizens, led by William Judson Boone, to locate the institution in that community.
Nineteen students arrived at The College of Idaho for the first classes in 1891. The first classes were held downtown in the Caldwell Presbyterian Church and a year later the college moved into its own downtown building. The campus moved to its present site on the east side of town in 1910 when Henry and Carrie Blatchley donated 20 acres of land. Sterry Hall, then a classroom and administration building, and Finney Hall, the first residence hall, were built that year. Voorhees Hall, the second of what would become a total of five residence halls, opened two years later.
In 1991, to celebrate the college's centenary anniversary, the college changed its name to Albertson College of Idaho, in honor of Kathryn and Joe Albertson. As alumni, the Albertsons were generous benefactors of the college and were founders of one of the country's largest supermarket chains, Albertson's Inc.
In an historic announcement on October 11, 2007, Albertson College of Idaho President Bob Hoover told students, faculty, staff, alumni and the community that the college had received the largest gift ever given to an Idaho college or university, a $50 million cash gift from the J.A. and Kathryn Albertson Foundation, and that it was returning to its original name - The College of Idaho.
Since by its charter, The College of Idaho is not controlled by any political entity, it is free to establish its own educational policy, to set its own requirements for admission, to determine its own course of study, and to determine its requirements for graduation. Thus our courses in religion are non-sectarian, and our admission policy is formulated without regard to creed, gender, color, race, handicap, sexual orientation, or national origin. The College values and is committed to the faith of its founders, and it therefore opposes oppression of all kinds—physical, intellectual, religious, political, economic, sexual, and social.
For more than a century, The College of Idaho has produced graduates who have become leaders in business, science, medicine, law, education, the arts, and government. Alumni include a current governor, two former governors, a Pulitzer Prize-winning historian, an Academy Award-winning musician, the co-discoverer of vitamin B-12, and the cofounder of Patagonia Outerwear.
The College of Idaho is a private, residential liberal arts college that prepares students to lead productive and fulfilling lives. We are committed to an innovative, individualized curriculum in liberal arts and professional studies, to building community, and to exercising stewardship.
Core Mission Themes
Transforming Liberal Arts and Professional Education
Challenging students to:
- Think broadly, by wide exposure to the fields of knowledge that constitute a liberal arts curriculum;
- Think deeply, by sustained exploration of a specific discipline;
- Combine this breadth and depth to develop skills in :
- Problem Solving
- Analytic Reasoning
- Critical Thinking
- Written Communication
And so producing:
- A Responsible Community
- A Resourceful Community
- A Reflective Community
Exercising Stewardship of
- Problem Solving
- Our Environment
- Our People
- Our Resources