Art and Design
The primary purpose of the Art and Design Minor is to foster creativity and critical thinking through an understanding of the practice and history of the visual arts. We seek to help students develop visual literacy and problem-solving skills, to explore confidently some of the many avenues of technical and creative expression, and to develop an appreciation for craftsmanship.
Minor Requirements (18 credits):
- 9 credits of 2-D or 3-D media from the following:
- 3 credits of advanced coursework from the following
- 3 credits of Art History from the following
- Three credits of Humanities. A liberal arts curriculum values breadth and exposure to both the Fine Arts & Humanities. Therefore, any student completing a minor in Art and Design must also complete a course in English, Modern Foreign Languages (at the 200-level or above), Philosophy, or Religion.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Foster Creativity
- Foster Critical Thinking
- Develop Visual Literacy
- Expressive use of Technology and Media