Policies and Procedures


The Unit of Credit
The unit of credit is the semester credit.
Course Numbers
Lower-division courses are numbered 100-299. Upper-division courses are numbered 300-499.
Class Standing
The class in which a regular or conditional student is ranked at the beginning of the college year is based upon the following:
Class Standing
Standing Completed Credits
First-Year 0-27 credits
Sophomore 28-59 credits
Junior 60-89 credits
Senior 90+ credits

Grades and Transcripts

Grade Reports

Midterm and final grades are made available to students through their WebAdvisor accounts. No paper grade reports are distributed or mailed unless specifically requested by students. Copies of grades are sent to parents only if authorized by the student. Students having questions or needing assistance should contact the Registrar's Office.

Transcripts of Record

Official transcripts of record are ordered through the Registrar's Office. Transcripts are released only when financial obligations to the College have been met. As stated on each transcript, federal law requires that release of such records be authorized personally by the student. No third party may legally have access to that record without the student's written consent. Official Transcript Request forms are located online on the Registrar's page or can be accessed through WebAdvisor.

Repeating Courses

Upon notifying the Registrar and with the permission of the instructor, a student who has earned grades of C-, D, or F in a course may repeat the course for the purpose of mastery of the subject. All grades are entered on the student's permanent record, but only the last grade is used in calculating the grade-point average. Only one enrollment is used in computing the total number of credits. Such repeated courses count in the calculation of the student's load for Veterans' benefits only if the original grade was F, or if a grade higher than C- is required for graduation. If the repeated course is to be taken other than in residence at The College of Idaho, permission must be granted by the Vice President for Academic Affairs (or designee) in accordance with limitations on credit listed under Graduation Requirements.


Individuals or groups of students always have the privilege of petition. Academic petitions should be addressed to the Vice President for Academic Affairs or designee. Other petitions should be directed to the appropriate administration officer. Academic petition forms can be obtained from the Registrar's Office. Only completed, timely petitions will be reviewed. A student's negligence regarding policies and deadlines stated in the Catalog or other official documents typically do not merit petition approval.


The following charts indicate the meaning of the grades assigned and the number of quality points given per credit for each grade. Students who fail to register or enroll officially are not assigned grades or given credit for a course.

Grades used in the grade point average calculation
Excellent Good Satisfactory Poor Failure
A 4.00 B+ 3.30 C+ 2.30 C- 1.70 F 0.00
A- 3.70 B 3.00 C 2.00 D+ 1.30    
    B- 2.70     D 1.00    
            D- 0.70    
Grades not used in the grade point average calculation
Passing (P) Incomplete (I) In-Progress (L) Withdrawal (W) Administrative Withdrawal (WA) Audit (AU)
Passing with credit given. May be elected by students in some instances under the Pass-Fail option. Incomplete - refer to Incomplete policy. Work in progress not expected to be completed in one term. Clear withdraw from course(s). Withdrawal initiated by Faculty or Administration. Audit of coursework.

Grade-Point Average

The grade-point average (GPA) is obtained by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of credits attempted, except credits marked P, S, U, W, WA, and I, and other credits awarded which do not carry quality points. Credits with the grade of F are used in the calculation.

Dean's List

To receive Dean's List recognition, a student must complete at least nine or more graded credits (excluding grades of P and S) in a given semester and achieve a GPA of 3.75 or higher for that semester. Dean's List recognition is given only for the Fall and Spring semesters.

Academic Honors

The College of Idaho awards honors upon graduation to recognize outstanding academic achievements:

  • Cum Laude
    institutional grade-point average of 3.50 - 3.74
  • Magna Cum Laude
    institutional grade-point average of 3.75 - 3.84
  • Summa Cum Laude
    institutional grade-point average of 3.85 - 4.00

Academic Reprieve

Students who have completed two consecutive full-time semesters at The College of Idaho with a grade-point average of at least 2.00 in each period may once, and only once, after consultation with and approval from their advisor, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, and the Registrar, eliminate one entire previous semester's, session's, or quarter's work from the computation of credits and grade points in their academic record. The eliminated work may have been attempted at any college or university. Nothing will be erased from the record, but the work in question will be bracketed to indicate that it is not being counted. None of the work undertaken in the session that the student chooses to eliminate may be counted toward any requirement for graduation. Students may repeat the eliminated courses only if they have not subsequently taken and passed courses to which the eliminated courses are prerequisites.

Grade Mediation Policy

If a student believes a course grade was improperly or unfairly assigned, the College has a grade mediation procedure to help resolve the matter. The evaluation of a student's academic performance is the sole responsibility of the person appointed to teach or supervise the course. A student who questions the validity of a faculty member's final evaluation of his or her academic work should confer with that faculty member within the first six weeks of the next full academic semester (i.e., discussion of Fall or Winter grades must begin within the first six weeks of Spring semester, and Spring grades within the first six weeks of Fall semester). If the matter cannot be resolved between the faculty member and the student, the student should seek the appropriate department or division chair or academic advisor to act as a mediator between the student and faculty member. However, the faculty member assigned to teach the course retains the final responsibility for assigning the course grade. After the final outcome, if the student and/or mediator feels that the faculty member in question has been unprofessional in resolving the matter, they should send a letter to the Vice President for Academic Affairs to be put in the file of the faculty member and considered by the Faculty Evaluation Committee as part of the regular evaluation process.

If the student writes a letter to the Vice President for Academic Affairs to be put in the file of the faculty member, a copy of the letter will be given by the VPAA to the faculty member and to the mediator, so that they may be informed of the comments. Either or both the faculty member and the person who served as mediator may write letters for the file as well.

The mediator will prepare a brief summary of the interaction with the student and its outcome and will give a copy of the summary to the student, the faculty member, and the Vice President for Academic Affairs. He or she will also retain a file copy. The file copy and the Vice President's summary will be retained through the subsequent evaluation period of the faculty member, in case it would need to be referred to for any reason.

If the faculty member whose grade is questioned is no longer employed by the College or is otherwise unavailable because of sabbatical leave or some other reason:

  • The student meets with the department chair of the faculty member's department (or, if the faculty member involved is the department chair, then the student meets with the division chair).
  • The department chair and the student's academic advisor help the student prepare a petition for review by a special committee appointed by the Vice President for Academic Affairs in consultation with Curriculum Council; the committee shall consist of one member from the faculty member's department or a closely aligned discipline, one faculty member from the division, and one faculty member from outside the division.
  • This special committee will review all available material and speak with people who may have insight into the situation and will come to some resolution that may include—but is not limited to—changing the grade(s) in question to Pass.
  • The timelines for beginning the grade mediation procedure are the same whether or not the faculty member continues at the College.
  • The decision of the special committee is final.

Academic Misconduct

The College of Idaho maintains that academic honesty and integrity are essential values in the educational process. Operating under an Honor Code philosophy, the College expects conduct rooted in honesty, integrity, and understanding, allowing members of a diverse student body to live together and interact and learn from one another in ways that protect both personal freedom and community standards. Violations of academic honesty are addressed primarily by the instructor and may be referred to the Student Judicial Council.


Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to, cheating on exams or assignments, plagiarism, ghost writing, buying or using a term paper, exam, or project that was not composed by the student turning it in, use of unauthorized notes or information during an exam, taking an exam for another student, collaboration on take-home exams when it has been forbidden, or furnishing false or misleading information on any official College form or the College website.


Plagiarism is the presentation of another's product, words, ideas, or data as one's own work. When a student submits work for credit that includes the product, words, ideas, or data of others, the source must be acknowledged by the use of complete, accurate, and specific references, such as footnotes. By placing one's name on work submitted for credit, the student certifies the originality of all work not otherwise identified by appropriate acknowledgments.

A student will be charged with plagiarism if there is not an acknowledgment of indebtedness. Acknowledgment must be made whenever

  • One quotes another person's actual words or replicates part of another's product;
  • One uses another person's ideas, opinions, work, data, or theories, even if they are completely paraphrased in one's own words;
  • One borrows facts, statistics, or other illustrative materials, unless the information is common knowledge (already published in at least three other sources without citation).


The burden of proof of student academic dishonesty or misconduct lies with the professor; the imposition of penalties is also the responsibility of the professor. Professors have the discretion to require that the student repeat the assignment or exam, or may give a failing grade for the assignment, exam, or course, or may otherwise deal with the academic dishonesty in a manner he or she determines to be appropriate. Before determining an appropriate disposition of the situation the faculty member is encouraged to consult with the Vice President for Academic Affairs to see if there are other instances of academic dishonesty by the student on file in the Vice President's records.

A brief report of the incident and penalty imposed will be filed with the professor's department chair and the student's advisor. A copy will also be placed in a file in the Vice President for Student Affair's office, separate from the student's academic file.

In any instance the student has the right to appeal the professor's accusation and penalty, first to the department chair, then to the division chair, and then to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

In the case of repeated or more serious violations of academic honesty, the professor or department chair may recommend to the Dean of Students and the Vice President for Academic Affairs that the student either be placed on academic probation, or be suspended or expelled from the College. The Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Dean of Students will hear and determine the charges and the course of action.

Academic Standing - Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Students' progress according to SAP is measured at the end of every semester in order to determine academic and financial aid eligibility for future semesters. For a more detailed description of the College policy please see the Financial Assistance webpage. In order to maintain SAP students must maintain the following:

  • Have a grade-point average of 2.00 or higher.
  • Earn a minimum number of credits for each academic year (based on Federal Financial Aid completion rates)
  • Complete all degree requirements within a specified time-frame

Student Standings

Students' progress according to the SAP Standards is measured at the end of every semester in order to determine eligibility for future semesters. Students can be in one of following SAP status categories:

Dean's List
To receive "Dean's List" recognition, a student must complete at least nine or more graded credits (excluding grades of P and S) in a given semester and achieve a GPA of 3.75 or higher for that semester. "Dean's List" recognition is given only for the Fall and Spring semesters.

Good Status
Students who are meeting all of the Standards of SAP and are not in a period of "Warning," "Suspension," or "Probation" are in "Good" standing and no additional enrollment, advising, or "Academic Plan" requirements are specified.

Warning Status
Students falling below the standards for the first time will be placed on "Warning" and will receive a letter and/or an e-mail (to The College of Idaho e-mail account). A student may continue to receive financial assistance during the "Warning" period. Students on "Warning" are encouraged to work with their advisor and to use the counseling, tutoring, testing, and other services available on campus to assist them with improving their academic standing. At the end of the next semester, progress will be reviewed and the student may:

  • Be removed from "Warning" and placed in "Good" status if both the cumulative GPA and cumulative completion rate standards are met;
  • Be placed on "Suspension" and suspended from receiving financial assistance from federal, state, and institutional sources.

Suspension Status

Students who do not meet both standards (Qualitative and Quantitative) are no longer eligible for financial aid. Students will receive a letter informing them of their "Suspension." Students who are placed on "Suspension" may petition if there are extenuating circumstances that led to academic difficulties (see petition process below).

Probation/Academic Plan

A student on "Probation" may receive federal, state, and institutional aid for one semester pending evaluation.

  • Students who have been placed on "Probation" and are attending their program under an approved academic plan remain eligible for aid as long as they continue to meet the conditions of that plan.

Petition Process

Students who are placed on "Suspension" may petition if there are extenuating circumstances that led to academic difficulties. A student may petition (with supporting documentation) in these situations:

  • Extenuating circumstances: situations over which the student has no control and may include death in the student's immediate family, hospitalization, accidents, and illness. Supporting documentation is required.
  • "Suspension" resulting from a grade of "Incomplete (I)" or missing grades.

The following must be included with the petition:

  • Why the student failed to meet satisfactory progress,
  • What has changed in the student's situation that will allow the student to demonstrate satisfactory progress at the next evaluation, and
  • A written academic plan with advisor signature.

The Financial Aid and Academic Standing Committee will:

  • Review the petition and current academic performance,
  • Convey in writing to the student the approval or disapproval of the petition.
    • If the petition is approved, the student will be placed on "Probation" for the next semester.
    • If the petition is approved and the student does not meet the requirements of the approval as outlined in the approval document, the student will be automatically placed on "Suspension."

Students who have been "Suspended" and choose not to petition, or who miss the petition's deadline, or whose petition is denied may be considered for re-admission upon presenting evidence of ability to do satisfactory college work. Normally, the expectation is that the student will complete at least 12 credits at another regionally accredited college or university with no grade below a C. Students who have been dismissed and do not appeal may not enroll in any classes at The College of Idaho unless they have permission from the Financial Aid and Academic Standings Committee.

A student may submit a maximum of 2 petitions during their time of study at The College of Idaho.


The policy does not preclude a student from enrolling in subsequent semesters. Students can raise their GPA and/or satisfy credit deficiencies by taking additional course work at The College of Idaho without receiving financial aid or by transferring in credits from another institution. Students who have lost eligibility for financial aid will not regain eligibility simply by paying for his or her classes for a semester or by sitting out a semester. Students may have their financial aid reinstated once all SAP standards (both qualitative and quantitative) are met. Students can also submit a copy of their College of Idaho transcript and a petition form to verify grade changes, including removal of Incompletes, if this will result in the student meeting the requirements of SAP for financial assistance.

Incomplete Grades

The grade of I, or Incomplete, may be assigned only when the student has completed the majority of coursework with a grade of D or better and when the instructor believes the student's inability to complete the course is due to legitimate causes beyond the student's reasonable control. The instructor and student must complete an Incomplete Grade Contract. All work for the course must be completed and a final grade submitted to the Registrar by the end of the next semester (Fall or Spring), or the grade of F will be recorded. Instructors may establish earlier deadlines. By petition and with the permission of the instructor concerned, the Vice President for Academic Affairs may extend the time for completion in cases of hardship.

Pass-Fail Option

At any time before the posted last day to elect pass/fail or withdraw from a class, a student may elect to take a course on a Pass-Fail basis by filing a form with the Registrar. The choice is, as of the limiting dates noted, irrevocable. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for specific dates each semester.


  • No more than one course per semester may be taken Pass-Fail.
  • No more than 18 credits of P may be counted toward graduation. (This does not apply to courses where P is the only mark given and the student has no option.)
  • Courses to be counted toward a major, minor, concentration, or a graduation requirement may not be taken Pass-Fail.

Note: Since the grade of P indicates any assigned grade of D- or above, students should be aware that some post-graduate institutions may discount records with this grade.

In some programs, including some study -away programs only Pass-Fail grades may be recorded for earned credit. These courses, in which students have no option for letter grades, may be exempt from the limitations listed above. Students must request a waiver of limitation with the Registrar's Office at the time they file the application for overseas study. The student must also file an academic petition for the waiver.


Directory Information

At its discretion, the College may provide directory information in accordance with the provisions of FERPA (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) to include a student's name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, major field of study, dates of attendance, class standing, full or part-time status, degrees and awards received, photos, most recent previous educational agency or institution attended, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight and height of members of varsity athletics teams. Students may withhold directory information by notifying the Registrar's Office and filling out the appropriate form. This request for non-disclosure will be honored until it is revoked. A request to withhold directory information will prevent the student's name and degree from being published on the Dean's Honor Roll and in the Commencement program. If non-directory information is required during an emergency, The College of Idaho may release that information if it deems that the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals.

Students may allow the release of academic and/or financial information to designated individuals by completing the Information Release form that can be obtained in the Registrar's Office.