Registration & Enrollment


We strongly believe that student success in college depends upon a partnership: C of I faculty advisors play a large role in guiding students through academic programs and requirements. But students, ultimately, are responsible for knowing the requirements and monitoring their own progress. Thus, the first step in registering for classes is consulting with one's academic advisor. Next, the advisor grants approval to register, and the student signs up for classes through the online WebAdvisor system. Closed or permission-only classes require signed add/drop paper forms, available in the Registrar's Office or online at the Registrar's site. All Business or Administrative holds must be removed before a student may register. Students should verify that they are correctly registered by viewing their schedule through WebAdvisor.


Enrollment is the process of registering for courses and confirming arrangements for payment with the Business Office.

To complete enrollment, the student must be registered full time for the semester and either be paid in full for the semester or on a payment plan through Tuition Management Services by August 15 (December 15 for Spring Semester).

Failure to make satisfactory payment arrangements will result in expulsion from classes and charges calculated according to the refund rate for withdrawal (see Cost of Attendance).

Normal Load and Overload

A normal load for undergraduate students is from 12 to 16 credits in the Fall and Spring semesters, and from 3 to 5 credits in the Winter semester. Financial-aid eligibility often requires that a student maintain full-time status, which means that a student be registered for at least 12 credits during the Fall semester and at least 12 credits during the Spring semester. Varsity athletes, international students, and recipients of Veteran's benefits typically must register for at least 12 credits in the Fall, 3 credits in Winter, and 12 credits in the Spring semesters. Higher loads are permitted in Fall and Spring, but not in Winter, with signed permission from the major advisor, for students with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher and no outstanding grades of Incomplete. Overloads may not exceed 18 credits in the Fall and Spring, or 5 credits in Winter. Students who have accrued 90 or more credits and have a graduation application on file in the Registrar's Office are exempt from Fall and Spring limitations.

Class Attendance

The College of Idaho values the contributions that C of I students make in the classroom. All students are expected to attend classes and laboratories in which they are enrolled and are expected to abide by specific course attendance policies as described in course syllabi. A student who is absent without explanation from the first course meeting during a semester may be administratively withdrawn from the course at the instructor's request.
C of I also recognizes the importance of co- and extra-curricular activities to the overall educational experience. If a student expects to miss class during the semester because of scheduled commitments to College-sponsored activities, the student should communicate this to the instructor during the first week of instruction. Early communication allows the student and instructor to discuss the impact of absences on coursework and, if necessary, for the student to schedule alternative courses before the add/drop deadline. In all cases, students must give notice to instructor(s) at least 1 week in advance of their absence regarding missed class time and coursework. Absence from class for any reason does not exempt the student from completing all course assignments on time. 

Auditing and Non-credit Instruction

For currently enrolled students

Currently enrolled full-time students may audit a course provided space is available and they receive the instructor's permission. Students interested in auditing a class should present the audit form to the instructor at least a week before the beginning of the class; the audit form will describe the instructor's expectations regarding levels of participation and attendance. All decisions regarding auditing of a class, including continuing participation, rest with the instructor. Students who complete an audited course will receive a grade of "AU" on their transcript but receive no academic credit; courses audited do not count as part of the student's load for veterans' benefits or athletic eligibility. Enrolled students pay the standard overload fee if the audited course brings their Fall or Spring semester load above 18 credits or their Winter or Summer load above 5 credits. All rules regarding add/drop, withdrawals, and administrative withdrawals follow the academic calendar and college policies. Audited courses cannot be converted to credit-bearing classes or retaken for credit.

For part-time and non-degree-seeking students:

All the above regulations apply to part-time and non-degree-seeking students, with the standard per-credit fees applying to any audited course.

C of I full-time staff and graduates:

Full-time staff and graduates of The College of Idaho may audit up to two courses per academic year at no cost provided space is available and they receive the instructor's permission. Graduates interested in auditing classes should first contact the Alumni Office and then complete the audit form before contacting the instructor. All other conditions that apply for enrolled students apply for C of I staff and graduates.

Withdrawal from Courses

Students may, in consultation with their academic advisor, drop any course until the close of registration. The course does not appear on the student's record. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for specific dates each semester.

Under certain circumstances, an instructor, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, or the Dean of Students, in consultation with the Registrar, may administratively withdraw a student from a course. In such a case a mark of WA will appear on the transcript.

A student may withdraw from any course until the last day to elect pass/fail or withdraw from a class, but the course appears on the record with a mark of W. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for specific dates each semester. After the last day to elect pass/fail or withdraw from a class, a student who ceases to attend class is assigned the grade they have earned. Merely ceasing to attend class does not constitute withdrawal, and failure to follow prescribed withdrawal procedures may result in a grade of F.

First-Year Student Rule

Those students who have earned fewer than 28 credits have the option to drop a course from the last day to withdraw from semester courses up until the last day of class. A grade of W will appear on the student's record. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for specific dates each semester.

Withdrawal from the College

A student who must withdraw completely from the College should initiate action with the Dean of Students. Grades of W, WA, or F are assigned in accordance with the policies set forth under Withdrawal from Courses. In some cases, if sufficient work has been completed and extenuating circumstances are established, it may be possible to arrange for grades of Incomplete. (See regulations on Incomplete Grades.) Students having questions or needing assistance should contact the Dean of Students or Registrar's Office.

Leave of Absence

Voluntary Leave of Absence

Ordinarily, the college expects full-time students to complete the bachelor's degree in four academic years. However, at times family, medical, personal, or financial emergencies arise that may interrupt one's studies. Students who must leave the College for a short time but who intend to return to their studies may request a Voluntary Leave of Absence for up to four consecutive semesters. Students who do not return within two years will be re-classified as Withdrawn from the College; withdraw policies and procedures will then apply*. The Voluntary Leave of Absence process is initiated with the Dean of Students. Students receiving financial aid are advised to consult the Student Financial Aid Office before requesting a Voluntary Leave of Absence in order to verify how their financial aid package might be impacted.

*Note: the two years in LOA status will count toward the six-year catalog timeframe.

Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence

The College may require a student to take an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence in certain circumstances when the student's health may be adversely impacted or the community may be adversely impacted by the student's continued presence on campus. This policy describes how these leaves of absence can be issued and appealed.

The Dean of Students or designee may issue Involuntary Medical Leave of Absences. An Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence may be issued if a student:

  • Is engaging in, or is threatening to engage in, behavior that poses a significant danger of causing substantial harm to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or others; or
  • The student's behavior has resulted in substantial harm to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or others and the behavior continues, or there is a risk the behavior will continue, posing a significant danger of causing substantial harm to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or others; or
  • The student's behavior has resulted in significant disruption of the teaching, learning, or administrative activities of other members of the campus community and the behavior continues, or there is a risk the behavior will continue, with the likely result of such behavior substantially impeding the education processes or proper activities or functions of the College and its personnel.

Before issuing an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence, the Dean of Students or designee will, when possible:

  • Consult with others who can provide relevant information about the student's condition, and
  • Provide the student an opportunity to present information about his or her circumstances. If the student is unable or unwilling to meet with the Dean in a timely manner, the student's opportunity to provide information is waived.

The Dean or designee will issue an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence in writing (email to the student's College of Idaho address and hardcopy to student's campus mailbox) to the student. The written notice will include:

  • The effective date of the leave.
  • The reasons for requiring the leave.
  • The conditions for re-enrollment.
  • Any restrictions imposed on the student's access to the campus or college-sponsored activities.

A student wishing to return from an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence must:

  • Notify the Dean of Students of desire to return.
  • Document fulfillment of all conditions placed on re-enrollment.
  • Meet all other admission and enrollment requirements of the college.

The Dean will notify the student in writing of the decision to approve or deny returning to campus and/or re-enrollment.