Humanities & Fine Arts |
Applied Voice, Violin, Viola and Cello students may wish to continue their pre-professional study by investigating the Music Performance Minor in the Professional Studies & Enhancements PEAK.
Concentration in Teaching
Students desiring to pursue the study of music education should complete the music major core requirements and take additional courses as described below.
Students desiring a certificate in secondary music education must complete this concentration, a minor in education, and a fifth year internship after graduation. These students should also have an advisor in the Education Department.
For Instrumentalist, 46 cr
- Music core 24, credits
- Applied Lessons, *5 credits from:
- Ensembles (7cr)*
- Music Education Courses (10 cr):
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Critical thinking
- Analytical reasoning
- Problem solving
- Fluency in analyzing tonal music
- Knowledge of key historical periods in music, including composers, music, styles, and aesthetics
- Ability to write and research regarding music
- Advanced performance abilities
Additional Student Learning Outcomes for Teaching Concentration:
- Conduct a large-scale score
- Knowledge of methods and management skills for the music classroom