Curricular Revisions for Health and Human Performance-related majors
Executive summary: The proposal outlined below addresses growth in the population of students interested in health-related professions and the majors most commonly chosen by those students. Together, these majors - Health Sciences, Human Performance & Exercise Physiology - are referred to as Health & Human Performance (HHP) majors.
Specifically, the proposal includes
- newly-defined core curriculum
- realignment of existing majors in Health Sciences, Exercise Science, and Physical Education with this new core, and
- preparation of students for careers in occupational therapy, physical therapy, medical lab science, clinical rehabilitation, sports medicine, occupational health, physician’s assistant, etc. and may lead to advanced study in medicine or dentistry.
The proposed curricula also offer greater flexibility and better integration with PEAK. These revisions have not yet been approved by the College's curriculum review process.
HHP curriculum Summary
A summary document for download is available below.
- BIO 201 + Bio 202 (8 cr) OR Cellular Basis of Human Physiology (BIO 159; new course) (4 cr)
- Human A&P I (224; requires B201-202 or 159) (4 cr)
- Human A&P II (225; requires 224) (4 cr)
- Nutrition (2xx; New Course) (3 cr)
- Statistics or Applied Calculus (3-4 cr)
Total core units: 18 to 23, including math course