A Moment in Time

By Dorgham Abusalim

This year I come back to campus after having been away for longer than usual. I spent the spring of my Junior year interning in the nation’s capital, Washington D.C., and then I flew back to the Middle East for the summer time. I’m writing from Amman, Jordan. Amidst family occasions, and the joyful times of Ramadan nights the thought of becoming a Senior keeps me alert.

I knew many upper class students during my freshman and sophomore years, and I remember them looking forward to graduate. But, when the moment approached they seemed intrigued by it. Something was written all over their faces, I’m not sure what though. It was maybe the big question mark of what lies ahead, or the smiley face looking back at the “good old times.” One thing is for sure, they were confident. After all, they went through the kind of life that prepared them to handle that question mark and to happily ride the emotional tides of the “good old times” as though they were the surfers of their own seas.

I will come across this moment, too. Maybe it will feel the same, and maybe not. Either way, I’m looking forward to it because it will be a moment in time that I will cherish forever. It will be a moment that provides a sense of completion and success, at least I hope so. Mind you, a whole year of homework and classes still stands between that moment and me.

I think it is safe to say that all students across all colleges have their ups and downs. I certainly had my share of that. However, such times are the pieces that make up the puzzling moment of Commencement, a new beginning followed by an end to a chapter of my life.

This year I come back to campus while looking forward to that moment and everything that stands before it. The endless long papers of International Political Economy and Journalism classes, the good times of events thrown out on campus by the numerous clubs and organizations, the good conversations that leave us thoughtful of what we do, who we are, and our purpose in life: proud Yotes committed to lives of excellence.

Academics