The Spice of Greek Life

I’m back in Caldwell. I still haven’t unpacked the majority of my stuff, but I’m already enveloped in the warm, soupy mess of people, easy-mac, and porch-talks. Being “home” has allowed my mind to drift back into its usual cycles. A lot of that means the re-emergence of thoughts generally focused around one of my obligations as a Delt: recruitment.I serve on my chapter’s recruitment committee as its chair. I oversee the general activities of our chapter in regards to this vital process, and draft most of the plans for the events we hold when freshmen are interested in rushing.

The purpose of this post is me trying to tell you straight-out what Greek recruitment is like on our campus, at least in my chapter’s case. Greek life here is unique, much like everything else about our school. Its culture is small, integrated, and from what I’ve seen of other chapters I’ve visited, ultimately much closer than other Greek communities.

For the Delts, recruitment is a year-round activity. It’s not something that is constrained to a single “rush-week”. We’re always looking for new faces – new members are the life-blood of any Greek organization. Year-round recruiting fits the nature of our school in general. A majority of Greeks that I know on campus came to college without the goal or intention of joining a fraternity or sorority. But no matter what year of classes you’re in, it can be surprising to find out just who decides to join this part of our community.

From what I’ve learned by talking to non C-of-I Greeks, “rushing” can have some intimidating, or in some of the worse cases, threatening connotations. In our case, it generally means free food, bonfires in the school quadrangle, poker nights, and frisbee games.

During my freshman year, I went to different events held by some of the other chapters, playing poker with upperclassmen and enjoying some free food. I was thrust into different circles, and some of the faces that had merely existed as part of the environment of my school started to have names and stories attached to them.

Ultimately, I found true friendship with one of the students who would extend an invitation for me to join his chapter, and this friendship became a catalyst for me to discover other relationships and opportunities as a leader within my college.In the end, some might say that we as Greeks are all just college students looking for some new friends to bring into our little clubs. But I truly believe that it is deeper than that. In the spring of this coming year, I’ll have been a Delt for two years out of my life. Looking back, I can see how much of an impact it has had on me as a student and as an individual within my campus.In my case, Delta Tau Delta has given me a set of values to guide my endeavors and goals: Truth, Courage, Faith and Power. As an individual, I reflect on these pillars, trying to make sure that my life is lived with these values in balance. In addition to this, I’m reminded of these facts every day by the fellow men I share a creed with. We are all still learning, but we still have an obligation to hold ourselves and our brothers accountable to the honorable conduct and maturity worthy of the standards we keep.

Everyone’s experience in Greek life will be different, and I’m not advocating that everyone should be Greek. But if you’ve ever been curious about it, I truly encourage you to actually talk to a Greek about it. A lot of the battle we as Greeks fight when it comes to recruitment is fueled by the negative connotations that have been impressed upon students before they even get to their college. I came to C of I with these stereotypes and I never expected to be in a fraternity, much less living in its house two years later.

I was surprised by what I found when it came to Greek life. I found something that I truly treasure, as well as something that augmented my values and beliefs.

One might say that Greek life is like an exotic spice or gourmet cheese. It may take some people a couple of samplings, but if you find the right dish (C of I), you might find that it is a truly delicious and complementary addition to any meal.

Find out a bit more about Greek life by visiting the C of I Delts Facebook Page.

PHOTO: The local Keystone Pizza in Caldwell, where we often eat together as a chapter.

-Andrew Moore