Finding Ways… It’s Easy

Some of you might have been thinking where have I been. Admittedly, I’ve been around, but had a hard time writing. You see, writing isn’t something that you just do. I have a tendency of writing about some things I’m passionate about more frequently than others. As far as a passion goes, well, it comes and goes. Not to despair, as you continue reading, you not only will learn about something I am passionate about, but also about to how sustain your passions amidst a very busy college life here on our great campus.

To all of you, I think it safe to say that the date September 11 no longer passes by as it used to in the years leading up to 2001. But in 2011, this day of rememberance marked an important day for many people across the world, a day of worship: Sunday. Being someone who is driven by the idea of reconciliation, and belonging to a war-torn country, I was most intrigued by the implications a Sunday had on commemorating the attacks of 9/11. A simple idea hit me.

An interfaith event on campus that involves conversation is probably one of the best ways one can honor the victims of 9/11, many of whom belonged to a particular faith, even Islam. In the run-up to planning the event, I started outreaching to the local religious communities, mainly the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim communities across the Treasure Valley. After many persistent phone-calls and voicemails, I had the pleasure of speaking to two religious community leaders in the Treasure Valley, one Muslim, the other Jewish. Unfortunately, both were preoccupied with an interfaith event that had been planned already on the same day, and for the same purpose, in Boise. I did not despair and offered my help, asking whether I could promote it on campus so students could have an opportunity to attend if interested. That went well.

Soon enough, about eight C of I students decided to attend, but, we had a transportation issue. Our campus, however, has ways of solving these things. For instance,  clubs and organizations affiliated with events that require transportation normally book C of I vans in advance. This was not the case here; in fact, the planning was a matter of few days, and I almost gave up on making it to the event. It was then when the Dean of Student Affairs, with whom I spoke about the event, decided to book a van and charge the fees to his account for the time being. This act only shows that our students, faculty, and staff are more than willing to work towards accommodating student initiatives, and shows the trust and integrity that our community hold.

We made it on time, and enjoyed a great event titled “Healing Our Future.” More than 200 guests from the valley’s Jewish, Christian, and Muslim communities attended the event which was organized by local Pastor Barbara Nixon. “We know for us that following Jesus is the way to God, we know that other faithful people have other ways to God and these ways are true for them,” Nixon said, while emphasizing the importance of conversation and learning from one another.

It is true that we as students need significant portions of motivation in order to write the endless papers, or blogs for that matter. C of I never fails to be a motor of opportunity that provides the magical portion of such motivation. Without students attending the event with me, and by extension making it necessary to have a school van that fit us all, I wouldn’t have made it.

-Dorgham Abusalim