What brings us together…

This last weekend was the ten year anniversary of 9/11, one of the most tragic events in our history. I remember I was in the 3rd grade when this happened, and I had no idea what was going on. I felt so lost and confused that day, until my parents sat me down and explained what had really happened. I remember wondering who would be evil enough to do something like that to an entire country. That was the day America became united.

Now, ten years later, we are found in an extremely different situation. I will leave our current country’s situation interpretation to whoever is reading this. Anyway, it’s at times like these when you just want to do something to help. Coming from a small town named American Falls with a population of 4,000 there are not many opportunities to help, or let alone many people who are available on a Sunday. Sometimes it feels like it is nearly impossible to find someone else who cares, even though that is not the case.

Once you leave high school though; you discover you are not alone. There are hundreds, thousands, millions of people everywhere who are looking to help. I don’t know, I guess they just seem to hide in high school. I love College! This Sunday we were asked, as a college, to volunteer hours at our local Goodwill in remembrance of September 11th. I figured not that many people would show up (that’s what would happen in high school), but we had a lot more volunteers than expected show up. It was an amazing feeling; working with fellow peers from the College knowing we were making a difference.

It is always an amazing thing to know that you are never alone. There are many people

out there who would like to help, who care, and who love. The anniversary of September 11th is the national day of service, a day for America to come together. It’s an amazing feeling when we can all come together to help each other, especially in times of need.

Alright guys! Thanks for listening!

PHOTO: We helped organize all the shoes and books!

-Madai Montes