The Disease is spreading …

Literally. Not only is it Human vs Zombies week here at The College of Idaho, but it is also flu season. It is kind of like the game Humans vs Zombies, someone starts off with the disease and once that person touches someone else it starts to spread. It’s a little more technical than that, but you get my point.

Now the only difference with the game and the real life disease, is once you are tagged with the flesh eating zombie disease you can get up and walk around and infect others. But when you are infected with the flu, the difficulty you face when getting out of bed each morning is enough to remind you that this isn’t a game. :(

As a freshman, I’ve learned that there are many things I took for granted at home. One of the advantages I had was that of my mother’s care. Anytime I was sick my mom would drive to the school, pick me up, make me soup and force feed me medicine. The next day she would call the clinic and make me an appointment. I miss that. I miss my mom.

Now I realize just how much my mother did for me. Today I went to class feeling sick, I left early and had to walk myself to the clinic. It wasn’t that bad, but walking all the way across campus back to my room was challenging. Once I landed on my bed my head was spinning and I couldn’t pick myself up. My awesome roommate made me some Ramen Noodles, and with that I took a nap.

Through this experience I realize exactly what being independent means. Not only taking care of yourself, but literally picking yourself up and making yourself feel better because there is no one else to do it for you. Well, that is if you don’t have an awesome roommate.

All throughout the night you can hear coughing around the dorms, during the day the kitchen is crowded with people heating up soups and tea. All of us scrambling to feel better. Thankfully though, there are still those who are not sick that make the rest of us feel better, sort of like our moms used to.

P.S Thank you mom, Love ya.

PHOTO: Here is a picture of me sick.

-Madai Montes