Floating

I had a busy week. Nothing especially stood out, just your typical 5th week of school. Typical means: Greek Week, Humans vs Zombies, job training, and research presentations.

Humans vs Zombies started again on our campus last Sunday. This round we had 125 players, and by the first day we had over 40 zombies roaming the campus looking for fellow Coyote brains. HvZ is an apocalyptic-themed game of tag, with human players attempting to survive as long as they can before being tagged by zombies.  For usually around 2 weeks, the campus is filled with a little extra energy as

Humans had to struggle to leave Simplot without being ravaged by hungry Zombies waiting outside. This week under my duty as the administrator, I conducted one of our “missions” where the remaining Human Resistance players had to defend a special target (the “scientist” character) while searching for supplies.

With the mania of HvZ running in the background, the campus also celebrated Greek Week. Our chapter played Ultimate Frisbee at Hayman Field, and I showed up to the Sigma Epsilon sorority’s bonfire, as well as the Kappa Kappa Gamma’s pie-walk.

On Thursday, I took a break and went to a presentation by a U.S. economics author, Ed Grumbine, and listened to him talk about his experiences working as a consultant for the Chinese Government while overseeing their conservation efforts in Yunnan province. An email from one of my professors tipped me off that I should attend, as I will be travelling to Yunnan this summer on a trip with 13 other C of I students in addition to two professors for History and Political Economy credits. Hearing about the problems that China is having in controlling its protected land was fascinating, and seeing pictures from Yunnan got me fired up. I looked down at my boots with the realization that I have about 9 months until they’re walking in the slopes of the Himalayas.

Lastly, I went through some review-training for one of my jobs on campus. This week I’m starting up again as a Coyote Caller, a fundraiser for school scholarships as well as student liaison to Alumni and friends of The College.

Winter is coming to the campus, but student life is only starting to heat up.

PHOTO: Humans guarding the Scientist (lab-coat) on the steps of the Terteling Library.

-Andrew Moore