Spring Break!

Spring Break! I don’t know about you but when I think of Spring Break I picture an entire week on the beach, an overdose of sun, and fun times with friends.  As a freshman I had this preconception that Spring Break was reserved for road trips and partying. Naturally my friends and I proceeded to plan a week-long trip to Canada. Why Canada you may ask? Well, it was close by, it was a whole new country and none of us had ever been there.  Being the naïve teenagers that we are, the cost of the trip was not really taken into much consideration. We had already planned to “spring break it away” in Canada months before spring break arrived. Coincidentally about a month before the month of spring break we collaborated and realized that there was no way we could stay an entire week in Canada. The cost was well between $400-500!

Canada

After re-evaluating our impossible plan we decided to turn our weeklong Canada trip into an overnight trip and spend the rest of the week visiting friends between Washington and Oregon. Cutting our lodging and food costs in half! I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Hochstein family, McVicker Family, and Levy Family for being amazing hosts and opening their doors to a rowdy group of five excited teenagers. Making stops in: Portland, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; Vancouver, Canada; and Bellingham, Washington we spent our week enjoying each other’s presence, bonding over long car rides, sleeping as little as possible, meeting amazing new people, and learning many unexpected life lessons along the way.

coast

I learned so much about the different places we went to visit. Canada was amazing! Beyond what I had imagined! The people were so hospitable and fun loving. We stayed in a hostel for the night and it only cost us $25 per person! It was a whole new experience!

city

Just for those that are curious: I know many of my friends who just decided to take a break for their Spring Break and slept for an entire week. To some extent I envy them. Anyway, the point is, if you don’t want to go out for Spring Break there is no obligatory law that proclaims how you must spend your spring break.

USA

I thought that Spring Break was a time of craziness and drama, but it was so much more. I learned to appreciate the small things in life. I learned many new cost and time saving methods. I recognized how blessed and amazing my life is and how there is still so much I have to learn. Most of all, I learned that going to C of I was the best decision I ever made. Without C of I, I wouldn’t have been able to go on this life changing trip with four of the best people I have ever met. Evangel McVicker, Rachel Hamre, Gabrielle Nelson, and Duncan Haunald; you guys rock and I love you all so much!  I hope everyone enjoyed their Spring Break!

Sincerely,

Madai <3

tea

Recreation