Surviving Spring

This time of year (I discovered by using my awesome freshman observing skills) is dangerous. The evil sun beckons. It beckons each and every one of us to unlock our inner child and lay out in the sun, play frisbee, and climb trees.

It's hard to do anything else but spend the entire day outside. Even though I really wish i could spend an entire day outside, i can't. For many it can be difficult to find the motivation to carry on, especially for seniors who are experiencing symptoms of senioritis at this time.

So how does one find motivation when nature is encouraging us to do everything else but what must be done? Here are some tips and tricks that have worked for me so far: 

1. Watch a motivational film (make sure you have time to watch this film first). It seems silly; but I find that after watching a great film about someone who becomes successful by working hard I just want to work hard! Good motivational films: Rocky, The Pursuit of Happyness, Freedom Writers, The Great Debaters, The Blind Side, etc. 
  2. Eat something with a lot of sugar! I do not know what it is about sugar, but it just changes lives! I have so much more energy and motivation after eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's "Mocha & Heath Ice Cream!" 
  3. Take a 20 minute nap. Studies have shown that 20 minute naps are the best way to go. You wake up feeling refreshed and you do not waste a lot of time. Best of both worlds! 
  4. Make a list. Write everything you have to get done in order of importance. Work on getting the most important things done first, then you will have less stress and more time to finish up the rest of your list. It works like a charm! 
  5. Take hourly breaks. A great strategy for me is a self-set motivation. For example, "You cannot pick up your phone until you finish this page." Make sure you do straight work for an hour and then reward yourself. :) 
  6. Nature is on your side. For a small break take a stroll outside or roll around in the grass for some time. It is relaxing, soothing, and a great way to relieve stress. 
  7. Make a motivational playlist. I find that listening to Mumford & Sons and the Beatles really helps pump me up! 
  8. Last but not least, get some sun! It is definetely a great idea to go outside and enjoy the sun whenever you can! However, just make sure it does not affect how you are doing in school or anything else. WEAR SUNSCREEN! 
Sincerely, 
Madai