Yote Pride Day

In January, I discovered a new passion.  I bought a membership to the Caldwell YMCA, which is about a mile from campus, and found that I loved going to the group exercise classes.  I kept coming back for one in particular - a Cycling class at 10:15 a.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  The instructor, Ann, was fun, energetic and very motivating.  She played a variety music that suited everyone's taste.  I quickly noticed that she had a consistent group of regulars who would attend each of her classes - and I soon became one of them.  

After about a month or so, Deb Yates, one of my favorite Education professors, started attending this class too.  It was so fun to get my day started by catching up with Deb and getting in a great workout.  Ann noticed that the both of us, who cycle next to one another each class, usually wear purple Yote gear.  She said that she was a C of I alumna, and we formed an instant bond.

When Ann found out that I would be graduating soon, she announced to the class that we would have a Yote Pride Day on my last day of class.  We were to all wear purple and gold and have a trivia quiz about The College of Idaho.  When that day arrived, it was so much fun!  Ann got permission to substitute her YMCA uniform for an entire purple and gold outfit.  Between each song, she would ask questions to the class about the founding of the college, classes and professors, alumni, and different buildings on campus.  It's too bad there weren't more Yotes in the class, but it was fun for me, Deb and two other students in the class to know the answers to the trivia questions.  

This is a great example of the type of community that C of I creates.  It's so nice to see the connections that students, faculty, and alumni can make on and off of our campus.  I'm really going to miss going to this class three times a week.  Thanks for the fun memories, Ann!         

-Melanie Palmer