Got Introductions?

You know how Lao-tzu said "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"? Well, the journey of a student experience blogger here at The College of Idaho is kind of like that, since our journeys start with a single introductory post. Sure, such a post might not be anywhere close to as deep or complex as ancient Chinese philosophy, but come on, a guy can dream, can't he?

I suppose since a few of my esteemed fellow bloggers have already made themselves at home here, now would be a pretty good time to move in too. And since I'm going to start posting here on a regular basis, it's only fair that I begin with a polite hello and a few quick facts about who I am, what I do, and why you should pay attention to my nifty insights and witty banter.

My name is Clayton Gefre, and I'm going to be a sophomore at C of I this fall majoring in Creative Writing. See that picture in the upper left of that attractive, bespectacled gentleman doing his best Sherlock Holmes impression? That guy is me. I was born in Bismarck, North Dakota, but after moving around the country the first eight years of my life, my family and I finally settled in Meridian, ID. I've grown up literally across the street from Boise--five feet to the west and you'll find yourself outside Meridian's zip code. I'm sure delivering mail on our street must drive postal workers nuts. Since spring semester ended and summer vacation began, I've once again been living in my awkwardly addressed house with my parents, my older brother, and our dog, Blu, a lovable chihuahua, if periodically yappy. I've been happy to be back with the family and once again a short drive away from my closest friends from my high school days, but after living on a college campus for 9 months, being home can feel a tad boring in comparison.

I mean, I got myself involved with so many things my first year on campus that I never had a shortage of things to do. I became extremely involved in the choir program here. I'm not a music major, or even a music minor, but singing has always been one of my favorite things to do, and participating in choir is a great way to kill some homework stress. By the end of the semester, I found myself in all three of our choral groups, as well as a men's quartet I sang bass in on the side. And when I wasn't in choir or class, I was still getting myself involved on campus; I put my high school experience with photography to good use at Campus Ministries events, sharpened my acting skills by helping a friend with her Directing class final, rubbed elbows with some of the school's most talented creative writers at Writer's Company meetings, and became initiated into the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, among other things like just hanging out with new friends and having Nerf sword battles with my floor mates. And I'm excited to keep up with all these things and more once classes start again on September 6th.

But until fall semester starts, I'm spending my summer working part time at Marshalls for extra cash. Instead of being surrounded by social events on the C of I campus, I'm surrounded by clothes, shoes, and lots of customers wanting to save 20%-60% off every day. On the bright side, at least I'm still surrounded by people. Not a bad gig, although it's not really as interesting as college life. I'm anxious to get started with my studies again and find myself in C of I's unique atmosphere.

I also really like movies directed by Jason Reitman. Like, a lot. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything, but there you go.

I'll be posting about my local adventures all summer, so stay tuned! To quote Casablanca, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.