Top 5 Best Things About Being Home This Summer

Don't get me wrong. As much as I love living the campus life at C of I, being back home in Meridian for the past few months has been quite the delightful break. No early morning classes to worry about, no homework, being able to see my family every day--these are perks I wasn't able to get all the time during my freshman year. And with the start of classes looming over us in just a few more weeks, I figure now's as good a time as any to count my home life blessings.

So, without further ado, here are my Top 5 Best Things About Being Home This Summer.

5. Taking Care of the Dog

The mischievous pooch that led this post off is our family Chihuahua, Blu. That's "Blue" only without the "e," a very avant garde spelling which never ceases to confuse vets and neighbors. I can't tell you all how much I missed the little guy during my stay at Hayman Hall, and how excited I was to see him upon my return for the summer. He may be yappy towards unannounced visitors, but that's only because he's protective of us, so we all love him around here. I've had ample opportunity each day to hang around with him, toss balls for him and use him as an unwitting model for photo projects. When I return to campus in the coming weeks, I know I'll miss his distinctive barks.

4, My Bed

I have nothing against the bed I had last year in the dorms--on the contary, I thought it was more comfortable than most would consider giving it credit for. But the bed I have at home is a queen-sized mattress, while the bed I crashed on in Hayman was regrettably smaller. And it was less padded. And it had only one pillow. Simply put, the Hayman bed is the water boy to my current bed's varsity football player.

3. Jack in the Box Within Walking Distance

Jack in the Box milkshakes are one of my biggest weaknesses, and are the panacea to all of life's stresses. Long day at work? Go to Jack in the Box. Need to run some errands? Go to Jack in the Box. Just really hungry? Go to Jack in the Box. I simply cannot resist the franchise's charms. It's not possible. I've lost count of how many times I've stopped by since spring semester ended.

2. Close Proximity To Old Friends

I'm pretty lucky that most of my closest friends I made during high school have not only stayed in state, but have remained my constant companions even after graduation. The three I've spent the most time with all are going to Boise State University, and so have stayed a stone's throw away from my house in Meridian. Now that I'm no longer having to commute from Caldwell on the weekends we decide to hang out, I'm able to see them way more than I could during the school year. There's nothing quite like watching laughably bad movies, playing copious amounts of video games, and just plain old nerding out with guys that have basically become my second family. They've made my summer so much more entertaining.

1. My Parents and Their Awesomeness

At the end of the day, the chance to see my parents every day is hands down my favorite thing about the summer. The older I get, the more I really appreciate all they do for me, and how glad I am for their companionship. I'll miss their daily presence once I go back to school.

In other news, Marshalls is growing more empty and everything is at 20% in store now. Hurry and buy stuff! I still have shoes I can hook you up with!