What I Miss Today 3.0

What I Miss Today... Greek Life!

My name is Mariah Schlepp, and I am a Pinterest addict.  I am also a member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority, and Pinterest is one of my first go-to places for fun ideas to bring to chapter and recruitment.  Today I was getting all excited for fall recruitment and went on a pinning spree in search of good ideas; after spending more time in front of my computer than I would care to admit, it occurred to me just how much I miss my sisters.

Upon my arrival at C of I, I wasn't crazy about the idea of Greek life, but I knew that I wanted to be involved on campus and figured it couldn't hurt anything to go to fall recruitment, just to see what it was about.  Little did I know that I would fall in love with it.

I met all of the girls and felt like Gamma Phi Beta was the place for me.  Being part of a sorority really meant a lot to me and helped me through my first year.  Looking back on everything that has happened in my life from this time only a year ago, up until this very second, I realize that my first year of college has really shaped me as a person.  I learned so much more about myself than I knew there was to learn (just like everyone said I would, but naturally I thought were all being ridiculous). 

If I look back on this and ask myself what key experiences have helped me for the better, one would be becoming a sister.  Being part of Greek life has helped my work ethic, taught me how to form lasting relationships with others, and showed me how much more I am capable of doing than I had ever thought.  It has meant so much to me to be part of something like that.  Your first year is a fun and exciting adventure, but let's face it, at times it can be hard and that is when you really learn the most about yourself, because you realize how it is that you deal with things that get scary.  At least, that's how I felt about it.  Everyone needs somebody to lean on when the going gets rough, just as everyone needs someone to laugh with when all is said and done and we realize how funny the tough times were!  I know that for me, a lot of these caring "someones" were GPB sisters or members of my theatre family.  I am so blessed to have these people in my lives and dag-nabbit, I miss them!  Can't wait to get back to school.  Also, this upcoming year I get to live with three of my sisters in Ketchup (that sounds yucky, but just keep in mind that this "Ketchup" is actually an apartment building).  WOOT!  I am ridiculously excited about that (and for some reason, I am the most excited about going shopping with my roommate Kelsey for bathroom decor ... because it is SO important that one's bathroom be adorable ... hopefully the plumbing doesn't disrupt the feng shui).

Over and out,
- Mariah Mae

Mariah is a sophomore theatre and nursing major from Cataldo, Idaho.