On the Cusp of Freshmanhood

I am sitting in my half-empty room writing this blog post, and I don’t really know how to describe the feeling. I feel a little half-empty myself, like I’ve been trying to absorb everything there is to experience of life at home before I move out. I’ve been eating on the couch, taking baths, having friends over to make dinner and driving my car. I’ve been spending as much time with my friends as I can, and have already had to say a few (tearful) goodbyes, that has by far been the worst part of this week. It’s weird to say goodbye to people you’ve known for most of your life, or to people you’ve just only met recently, but are accustomed to seeing daily. There are a lot of people I will miss, and it makes leaving bittersweet. I know the next four years are going to be beyond fantastic, but I haven’t seen what they’ll be like yet, and I know exactly what I’m leaving behind. At the same time, it’s been a great week, because I’ve seen so many people, and it usually takes a good month to catch up with all of them. It’s like someone’s about to die, the way people conglomerate before we all move on. I’ve spent probably too much time Facebook-stalking all of my friends who have already moved in.

Between all of my socializing, I’ve been “packing.” It is certainly an active process, but I don’t think packing is really the verb I should use, even if it is the goal. What I really have been doing is reading old essays and books, putting together new outfits, looking at old photos, making shopping lists, sifting through junk drawers, and recycling. I finally am packed though... mostly.

So now I’ve emptied my room, and I don’t have any more people to see, my time at home has just about run out. It really is a strange feeling, but I’m pretty sure that it will be erased as soon as I get on campus. I couldn’t be more excited to move in! I’ve probably mentally redecorated my dorm about a thousand times, so there are literally hundreds of new people for me to meet, new places to see, and lots to learn. Everything up to this point has been pretty good, and I think everything to come is going to be even better, and these few days in between are just going to be a once-in-a-lifetime combination of feeling wistful, eager, and nervous. Ready or not, here I come!

-Claire Cushing

Claire is a freshman pre-engineering major from Sandy, Oregon.