“Study hard, learn a lot, and have fun.”

Every year on the first day of school, my dad insists upon taking a first-day-of-school picture. College disturbs this ritual a little since my dad isn’t in Caldwell to snap a photo to mark my first day of class. But it’s too much of tradition to forego entirely, so my parents got a text bright and early containing my instragram version of a first-day-of-school picture.

You can tell it’s the first day of class here. The Caf is packed, there are people walking to and fro before 8 a.m., people are bemoaning the start of homework and exchanging fears about their impending O chem lab. But there are also people slacklining in the quad, lingering over lunch with friends, and eyeing the posters advertising Program Council’s “Quad Rave.” It’s been said many times that C of I’s unofficial motto is “work hard, play hard.” That’s an adage that I’ve long associated with school, albeit in a less concentrated form. Every day before school, for as long as I can remember, my dad would send my brother and I off by telling us “Study hard, learn a lot, and have fun.”

So Yoties, whether you work hard and play hard, or study hard, learn a lot, and have fun, I hope you had a great first day of class.

-Megan Mizuta

Megan is a sophomore international political economy major from Boise, Idaho.