Street Fair

On Saturday night, after morning of racing against my teammates and alumni, and eating lunch at Imelda’s, which was good enough to rival even the food in the caf (which is saying a lot, I absolutely LOVE the food here!), I found myself eating dinner with the lovely people of Hayman Third North. Someone suggested going to Boise for the evening, and checking out the Street Fair ... I mean, the “hippie fair.”

Having had the fear of the Boise hippies instilled in me by my floormates, we finished dinner, piled into 3 cars, and headed downtown. This was the first time I’d really been to Boise. It’s a lot smaller than I thought it would be. It also felt a lot less like a city than a very quaint, albeit large, neighborhood. It is very laid back and there are front porches looking out onto vegetable gardens. I love it.

We stopped to say hi to some local parents, then went to the Hyde Park neighborhood. We wandered through the scarves and sundresses and necklaces in the various booths in order to make the hike up Camel’s Back. There were about half a million kids and their dogs trying to get up the face of the hill, while the other half million were tumbling uncontrollably down through the dust.

I am told that Camel’s Back is used for the purpose of sledding in the winter. Maybe it looks steeper than it really is, but I can say with confidence that I would not go down that on a sled with very much composure.

We took a few pictures at the top, listening to the music and looking at the “hippies” below us, acting like ... hippies? I didn’t really think that anyone there was especially hippie, except for ONE guy I saw in a hemp tunic wearing John Lennon glasses.

Nobody was overtly vegan, looking for petition signatures, condemning the use of plastics, trying to legalize marijuana, or noticeably on drugs of any kind for that fact. Some people were selling airbrush tattoos though, so I got one on the back of my neck. Everyone pitched in a dollar to convince one of the kids on our floor to get a tramp stamp reading “Saddle Up.”

Having survived the fair otherwise unaltered, we walked through mini-concerts and past restaurants buzzing with people on the patios to Goody’s for some ice cream. It was absolutely delicious. We stopped to visit some more parents, and three dogs, before heading back. It was a quick but highly enjoyable visit to Boise.

--Claire Cushing

Claire is a freshman pre-engineering major from Sandy, Oregon.

Boise