Ball So Hard

Dancing is not something I’m really good at. I’m not very coordinated, maybe that’s why I’m a runner. I’ve always admired dancers, though, and have always wanted to learn how to dance. You never know when being good at dancing will come in handy. Also, it feels like it’s been a really long time since I’ve learned anything completely new. Most things I’ve learned in recent years have just been an elaboration of something I already know how to do...like read.

The Ballroom Dancing Club meets twice a week, and I missed last Saturday, having just gotten back from a Cross Country meet in Pocatello. But tonight, this glorious Tuesday night, despite a hefty to-do list-- or maybe in spite of it-- I walked into Langroise wondering just how awkward I would be, trying to dance. The answer turned out to be: only moderately!

I have no rhythm, and my feet kept wanting to come together. The dance leaders were awesome though, I learned a basic box step, box step with a turn, progressive box step, and butterfly with their help. There were some really, REALLY good dancers there, and they were the easiest to dance with, but there were other beginners there too. Nobody made me feel like an idiot, even though I was staring at my feet the whole entire time and still misstepping occasionally. Everyone was very encouraging.

At the end of the hour, I felt considerably more refined, like I was not far from being able to move to England and live the life of the sixth Bennet sister in Pride and Prejudice. My goal is to be able not only to dance, but also to be able to say something other than “one-two-three-four--one-two-three--sorry, one--two--three...”. I had laughed a lot, learned a lot, and met some new people. I really had a great time and definitely plan on going to every session that I can, which is hopefully ALL of them!

--Claire Cushing

Claire is a freshman pre-engineering major from Sandy, Oregon.