Civic Obligations

It’s Fall Break, which marks the end of the first six weeks of my sophomore year. I’m celebrating by being a responsible citizen and voting early. I was all ready to request an absentee ballot so that I could vote from the comfort of Caldwell, but since I’m home in Boise for the week, I can just drop by the Ada County Elections Office and cast my vote early. I’m also getting ready to watch the presidential debate tonight, maybe with a cat sitting in my lap, since I am at home.

I also finished up my first-ever day of jury duty this Monday. I received my jury summons right before school was supposed to start in September, but had it postponed to this week. I went down to the courthouse this morning at 8, and five hours later was released, having narrowly missed being placed on a jury for a rape case.  Jury selection is a process I’d never experienced before, and it was interesting to see the different attitudes of my fellow potential jurors, which ranged from dour and grumpy at being called to being excited and eager to be placed.  It was also interesting to compare the expectations of a jury to what I experience on C of I’s judicial board.  I think the biggest difference is that because C of I is a relatively small community, Judicial Board usually has the benefit of knowing the character of the people that come before us and we have a context for their behavior.  On a jury, you don’t seem to get that background.

--Megan Mizuta 

Megan is a sophomore international political economy major from Boise, Idaho.