Finally a (Fall) Break

It has finally arrived. The break that I have been yearning for ever since the start of midterms. Fall break is a wonderful time of year, where I spend most of my days rejuvenating in my bed and eating soup (because the caf is closed). But while I am not in bed, I am at practice, preparing for our last conference games this weekend. This is one of the reasons why I am on campus all Fall Break, another reason is because I like to be here. The weather has finally turned and so have the colours of the leaves. It is nice to be on campus during break, because it is quiet and you can really enjoy the beauty of the leaves and the crisp fall air without worrying about homework.

I also find fall break a great time to bake and try new foods. Because the caf is closed, we have to branch out and cook for ourselves, or just eat take out all week. I usually opt for the first option because it works out cheaper to cook. So far I have been experimenting with gluten-free pizza and Thai curries and rice noodles. But I have also done a bit of baking, making brownies, pumpkin pie and hot cider with some friends who are also here during break. Although I have to admit that I don't really like pumpkin pie, I have always eaten pumpkin as a savory dish and never sweet. It is one of those cultural differences I guess, but I am getting used to it now and I even tried a pumpkin latte. It was pretty good.

But for now, I am going to get back to my books, movies and comfy bed to prepare myself for the next 6 weeks ahead. 

-Natasha Rooney

Natasha is a senior history major from Melbourne, Australia.