Photographing Marriages and Fixing Cars

So I think it is increaingly important in today's world not to burn out. I am a poster child for burn out cases, with a work ethic that is strange to say the least. I normally am of the school of thought that doesn't really care for most things. I am not the best of students, because if something does not stimulate me, then I do not really care much for it. But if something is exciting for me intellectually, then I go all out on it. Case in point being the arts. Lat year, I spent nearly all my free time in the ceramic studios, producing more stuff not taking a class then most people taking classes did. This year, what has captured my imagination is photography. I have spent most of my break alternating between the darkroom, and the archives, where my camera is kept. 

As such, I decided that it was time to take a small break from school work. So i decided that I will go take pictures for my buddy Jerry's wedding. Now Jerry is a unorthrodox guy. He has hair down to his knees, Metallica tatoos all over his body, and works in a metal shop fabricating large support structures for buildings. As such, he got married in his shop to his sweetheart, Cassandra. The banns were read to his brother, who got his pastors licence the same way I got mine, online.

alt=

alt=

I also went and helped my buddy Charlie (who I accompanied in his road trip to a car show to Palouse.). I helped put in a engine into his beat up old S10.

alt=

alt=

alt=

alt=

I also worked on an old roto tiller that was donated to the sustainability programme, but that was a bust. I realised that when I found dried leaves coming out from the oil sump, accompanied by oil that looked blacker then the plague.

AND, I made a greenhouse, which, when I install in the garden I have been slaving over this entire term, I will take pictures of, and put 'em up here.

As a side note about the greenhouse, It was made in the true spirit of the ecological movement. That is, cheap, tending to free. We had large sheets of plastic donated to us a while back, which form the insulation. The frame was fabricated out of wood salvaged three years ago from the renovation of Boone Hall. The only investment on my part, was a pound of nails (an eighth of which were used in the construction), begotten from a hardware store for 2 dollars. Maybe the motto of the sustainability programme should be "You give us your crap. We'll figure out what to do with it. Eventually." 

-Rahul Sharma

Rahul is a junior art major from Jammu, India.