Signs of Thanksgiving

It’s Wednesday, and I’m six hours, two classes, and one quiz away from Thanksgiving Break. For C of I students, Thanksgiving Break is more like an extended weekend than a full-out break. But since we’ve got so many weeklong breaks and we’re just a few weeks away from a lengthy Christmas break, there’s not much to complain about. Or maybe I don’t mind the shortness of the reprise because my commute home to Boise is a mere 30 minutes. Either way, everyone is looking forward to a few days off, and Thanksgiving is on everybody’s mind.

Evidence that Thanksgiving is just around the corner:

1. I’m in the visitor’s center right now for my student ambassador office hours, and just listened to Mary in the admissions office explain over the phone what Thanksgiving is, and why one of the counselors is out of the office because of it.
  2. The Caf is serving a “Thanksgiving Panini,” complete with roasted turkey, grilled apples, cranberry chutney, caramelized onions and havarti cheese.
  3. My yotes email account is full of advertisements for Black Friday.
  4. Anderson, the dorm I live in, held its own Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, and each floor brought a dish to share.
  5. People are picking up the caramel pumpkin, southern pecan, and pear-ginger crème brule Thanksgiving pies they ordered from Bon Appétit.
  6. The lecture slides in my physics class had a little cornucopia next to the “No class Friday” reminder.

Happy Thanksgiving!

-Megan Mizuta

Megan is a sophomore international political economy major from Boise, Idaho.