Being Thankful

With the election just behind us, people are having all kinds of reactions to Obama’s reelection. One of my favorite things that has come out of this election is the circulation of petitions for secession from the Union. Those and the petitions to petition the original petitions. People are just petitioning everything and I personally find it absurd and hilarious.

(http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2012/11/secession_petitions_se...).

No matter where you happen to fall on the political spectrum, there is something I firmly believe unites Americans across party lines; it is something that falls into everyone’s vision of what makes America great--a tradition that everyone loves, for better or for worse: Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays: I love mashed potatoes and my family equally, and Thanksgiving is a time to appreciate them both. Here is a list of a few of the things that I am thankful for, in no particular order:

• Great people Everyone knows people. But not everyone knows people who are as loving, creative, wise, unbelievably talented, brilliant, hilarious, interesting, inspiring and giving people as I do. I feel like most people know one or two people who are like that, but I know a LOT of people like that, and I feel very lucky for that. I know some of the best people in the world. 
  • Cable TV I’ve just discovered Honey Boo Boo. I couldn’t be more delighted.
  • Wheels because where would I be without them? Probably not most of the cool places that I’ve been to.
  • Domesticated animals because despite whatever she might eat, I love my dog. 
  • Probability What are the chances that I would be born in one of the wealthiest countries in the world at the point in time that trampolines have already been invented, people enjoy opposable thumbs and indoor plumbing; I don’t have to worry about getting consumption, I can think that putting a man on the moon is old news, vote, take homework for granted, eat bananas from Ecuador that arrived by airplane, watch 3D TV, and realize that there is more information available to me than I could ever hope to absorb. So that’s pretty awesome.

--Claire Cushing

Claire is a freshman pre-engineering major from Sandy, Oregon.