Home is Where the Heart is...Naked?

Coming home from school is a weird experience. It’s like flipping a switch between two separate lives. I fit back into my old life like sliding in the last piece to a puzzle. I saw almost everyone I wanted to see over Christmas break, and even though it's been months since I’ve seen them, I felt like it hadn’t been more than a week. There were a few things that had changed, and a few people too, which is mildly disappointing in a way that I can’t quite describe. But for the most part, seeing old friends and family feels like a belly full of chicken soup, and I couldn’t be happier about my break.

Now I’m back on campus and I’ve completed my first day of class, and my first Finney Fun Run. The Finney Fun Run is a C of I tradition for the first real snowfall of the year. Boys run from Vorhees to Finney, where there are girls, who then chase the boys back to Voorhees through a tunnel of people throwing snow at them. Also, everyone is naked in varying degrees. I decided to participate in a sports bra and spandex, like almost all of the other girls. I saw a little bit more of some people than I’d hoped to. Once we got back to Voorhees, everyone bundled back up, drank some hot chocolate, and celebrated being back on campus.

We’re back in full swing.

That may have been an unfortunate choice of words.

--Claire Cushing

Claire is a freshman pre-engineering major from Sandy, Oregon.