From Surf to Snow

Since arriving back in Idaho I have been very cold. And I think that I have been more cold than usual given the amount of snow that we have received. But I have been using this snow to my advantage.

Over the last two weeks I have been loving my winter term, because I have been spending a lot of time outdoors in the snow. The weekend that I got back from Australia I was lucky to get a spot on the Outdoor Program’s Sun Valley trip, where a bus load of people were taken to ski or snowboard at Sun Valley for a very reasonable price. I loved the lodge and how extravagant everything was, but most of all I got a chance to ski (which I never do in Australia, especially at this time of year). I love to get outside and in the fresh air, so this OP trip was perfect for me. I was also able to warm myself up by catching a bus into Ketchum to grab a warm coffee and check out the Goldmine thrift store.

But I have also had a good time in Boise on the weekends and have been trying a bit of Nordic skiing. I am not very good right now, but hopefully I will be better in a few weeks! The last few times we have gone up to Bogus there has been an inversion and the sky has been blue and the sun warm.

I love the mountains and the snow (which makes up for missing out on the rest of my Aussie summer) and I love that I have the opportunity to get outside and try things. Hopefully I will get to go snow shoeing again soon and maybe even stay in a yurt on another outdoor program before all the snow melts away! 

-Natasha Rooney

Natasha is a senior history major from Melbourne, Australia.