It’s Nighttime in London

I’m back on a snowy C of I campus and am happy to be home from a whirlwind three weeks. London and Paris were great—there are a million things to do and see—but it’s good to be back. There’s nothing quite like coming back to a place that’s full of your friends.

We arrived back in Boise on Monday, at about 8 p.m. local time, which is 3 a.m. London time. The different time zones made for a very long Monday. I’ve still got some jet lag, but mostly I’m still baffled when I consider how far ahead of us London is time wise. If I have lunch at noon in Caldwell, my London self would have been already done with dinner.

So far I’ve been having extra long lunches and dinners with my friends and doing some serious laundry. I’ve been wearing the same set of five outfits for the last three weeks, so if you see me on campus wearing any eccentric ensembles, it’s just because I’m celebrating my reunion with a full closet of clean clothes.

I also jumped right back in with Judicial Board. On Tuesday we had lunch with Judge Candy Dale, a U.S. Magistrate Judge who sits on C of I’s board of trustees. It was interesting and informative to hear about some of her experiences as a judge and some of her thoughts on things like confidentially and decision-making. Then later that day we saw some cases in our new Judicial Board room. We’ve moved into upstairs McCain, so if you’re ever sent to j-board, we’re in the old gamers’ lounge, by the Coyote office.

I’ve also started work on my winter portfolio. If the London course winter portion seemed like all fun and games, let me reassure you that we are doing some work for our four credits. We’ve got six essays due and several sketching assignments to turn in. We also kept journals during our stay, which we’re supposed to mine for essay material. As far as the essays go, we have a whole list of prompts to choose from and then three essays are on a topic of our choosing.

I was warned in high school that things would be increasingly broad in college, especially where writing is concerned. And it’s true; sometimes all you’ve got to go on is your own brain, no instructions provided beyond a word count. These are the tough essays. Writing is generally pretty easy for me, but with open-ended essays, you’re not just writing. You’re coming up with a meaningful topic or prompt for yourself, and it has to be one that has enough breadth and depth for you to explore for a good long while. But it also has to be specific enough to be manageable. It’s a tricky balance, but I’m looking forward to applying myself to the task and hope that I can do London and Paris justice.

From Caldwell,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a sophomore Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.