Hey, I Know You!

A lot has been said about how close knit C of I students are as a community, but I don't think it really clicked for me just how close we really are until this week.

I'm going into my second spring term this year, and now is about the time I'm delving seriously into my Creative Writing major--out of the 16 credits I'm taking, 10 of them are required courses for the degree. To be honest, the seriousness of this semester towards my future is a tad bit daunting. ENG-280, Theory and Method in the Study of Literature, gives me the impression that it's one of those "make or break" classes that separates the proverbial men from the boys, and ENG-319.1, Advanced Fiction Workshop, is going to be like last semester's Nonfiction workshop would have been like if it was hooked up to a car battery and thrown into a raging river. And, of course, French is still looming over me just waiting to spring a homework trap on a weekend where I have a bunch of English homework, just to be as ironic as possible.

Of course, putting this many credits towards my major this semester has really made clear the people I share my major with. I'm good friends with quite a few Creative Writing majors, but up to this point, I haven't really been in daily classes with them, much less had them criticize my work. Now I see some of them every day, or at least every other day. I'm really getting a sense of community within my major that I never had before, considering how often we're in the same room. And not only am I seeing them in classes, but I'm also seeing them outside the walls of KAIC as well. One of them is a Delt. Two of them I play Dungeons and Dragons with every Saturday night. Another is a suitemate I used to get into crazy Nerf sword battles with as a freshman. I watched Firefly with another over winter term. Suddenly everything seems so interconnected in a way that it wasn't before.

But it's not just this interconnectivity within my major that I'm noticing. As I walk campus, I suddenly feel like I know everyone I pass in the Quad.

That redhead with the cello? She's in my French class, and I think I've also had her in all of my journalism classes so far.

That big guy jogging past me? I was lab partners with him in Physiology last spring.

The blonde girl with the heavy bag? She was my RA last year, and someone I worked with while I was the Delt social chair.

Did that guy just throw a Frisbee at me on my way to choir? You mean that actually happens outside of college commericals? Who does he think he--oh, wait, that's another of my Delt brothers!

The list goes on, of course, but you get the point. I'm not sure what it is that has triggered this sudden bout of knowing who everyone is, but it's a bit trippy. Are we really so small of a campus that I can know all these people by my sophomore year? Do we just live in a small world? Does everyone just have the same face?

Questions abound, but I'm not too worried about finding answers to them. I'll just stick to enjoying the waving to all my new friends on my way to choir.

Clayton is a sophomore creative writing major from Meridian, Idaho