ZZZ You Later

I've been extraordinarily lucky this semester with the way my scheduling worked out. Through no conscious thought of my own, every one of the classes I scheduled falls in the afternoon. I didn't realize until the start of term that every Monday through Friday I could sleep in until noon if I so choosed. Unlike all semesters prior to this spring when I had early morning, 9 a.m. classes, I could finally sleep in without feeling guilty.

My morning routine is so much different than what it used to be in the fall, when I had to drag myself out of bed at around 6 or 7 a.m. to properly prepare myself for my 9:10 a.m. journalism class. Yes, I know it's probably earlier than what I could have woken up at, but it takes me that much time to actually feel awake, as I learned the hard way last year. This semester, my first class starts at 1 p.m. each and every day, which means if I'm feeling particularly comforted by my beloved bed, I could simply stay there until I just naturally wake up. So while everyone else is lamenting their 8 a.m. classes and complaining about the lack of sleep they've been getting, I've been able to get healthy amounts of sleep on a regular basis--an unheard of event on any college campus.

Of course, sleeping in until noon is certainly not a regular thing--the most I've slept in this semester on a school day has probably been 9:30 at the latest, and often times I set an alarm for around 8 a.m. just so I don't let myself sleep that long. I still have plenty to accomplish during my mornings, after all. I usually still have breakfast over in the Simplot Dining Hall, and then after that I'll walk back over to my room in Anderson Hall and finish any homework I neglected to complete the night before. This might just be a poor habit I've developed because of the circumstances, but I've been saving a lot of my homework for the mornings instead of the evening. Knowing I usually have at least 5 hours before my first class each day from when I wake up has convinced me that it's better for me to get all my work done when my mind is completely fresh. In the evenings, I can't focus as well because I'm just so exhausted from the day's events, so even if I do get some reading done for my English classes or study some French verbs, I can't completely focus. I've found that I can think much better around 10 and 11 a.m. after I get some sleep, and thus much of my work this term has been done around that time. I'll probably pay for it come next fall, but for right now it's a system that works.

When I tell people about my sleep schedule, they often tell me how lucky I am to have all my classes so late. I can see where they're coming from--we're all busy students here, which means homework is usually a nighttime activity for most of us. Late night homework sessions followed by early morning classes are no fun for anyone involved, and it just results in grumpy attitudes and inattention to class lectures. Having been on both ends of the sleep spectrum now (including two literal all-nighters last year), I can safely say that yes, it's really, REALLY important that we get more hours of sleep than we are right now. Sure, I can adapt to 4 or 5 hours a night if I had to...but why settle for that when I could get a standard 8 and feel much more refreshed and ready to take on the day? I'm going to look into later classes again for next year, and I hope I can get a schedule that fits this new sleep schedule as well!

Anyway, I have class in 2 hours, so I suppose I should wrap this up before I'm late. *wink*

Clayton is a sophomore creative writing major from Meridian, Idaho.