The Aftermath: Glitter at Breakfast

This morning, I woke up and realized I’d lost an hour of my life. Not in the sense that I’d wasted a precious hour sleeping in when I should have been out seizing the day, but because today is the unkind part of daylight savings time. I’m happy enough to have my phone set itself an hour back in the fall, but it’s hard to give up that hour in the spring.  Mostly because it’s just about three o’clock in the afternoon and I’ve still got an essay to write, an essay to revise, a case study to read, and some French to knock out.

The reason I slept in so late today is because I was at Masquerade Ball last night. Scarlet Masque, a theater club, revived Masquerade Ball this year, which was once apparently a much-anticipated yearly event. Tradition or no, I was happy enough to put on a nice dress, a mask and féte in Langroise.

Given that C of I is pretty small, masks don’t make for a terribly good identity cover, but it was fun to don one nonetheless. During the week, Scarlet Masque ran a mask-decorating booth in McCain, so that people could put together the most important part of their outfit for free.  There was glitter everywhere but the sacrifice resulted in a lot of creative masks.

I didn’t actually make my own mask; my friend Miguel decorated one for me instead. It was gold, with black trim, white paint, and pearls. My only request for Miguel was no glitter, which I think was a wise choice given that one of two of my friends were inadvertently still looking a little sparkly at breakfast this morning.

From KAIC,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a sophomore Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.