Room Draw (aka Doomsday) Approaches

After a week of slogging through midterms, it’s spring break and I’m back at home in Boise to spend the week with my furry friends. The crazy thing about spring break is that it means six weeks have already gone by, and there’s only six left before the summer. That’s a little too fast for my taste.

But a lot has happened in the last week—ResLife announced its crop of RAs and First Year Mentors. I didn’t apply this year, but about 2/3 of my friends are going to be RAs and FYMs, so I expect to hear stories from them and maybe I’ll even drop in on a few of their hall programs.

In the last week, ResLife also sent out everyone’s room draw numbers, which inspired either fresh panic or relief depending on how low or high everyone’s number is. The way room draw works is that each person is entered into a lottery based on the number of semesters they’ve been at the college. So, everyone that’s been here 6 semesters is in a random lottery pool with everyone else who has 6 semesters, and their numbers will all be higher than people with 5 semesters, and so on and so forth. The higher your number, the earlier you get to pick your room.

My number is a perfect 100. It’s not too bad for a sophomore, but single rooms are going to be super scarce (as in, less than 10 female singles anywhere) so I’m trying to live in the Village apartments with an upperclassman. Room draw frays my nerves like nothing else—not even the world’s hardest final can compare. I’m usually a pretty calm and under control person, but since room draw is a process where there’s nothing that I can do but wait for my turn and take what I can get, it makes me extremely anxious.  Room draw is April 4, so expect an update from a super stressed out me then.  

From Boise,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a sophomore Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.