Zion Spring Break Trip

For my final spring break of my undergraduate career, I was fortunate enough to be able to go to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park with The College of Idaho Outdoor Program.

I love spending time in the outdoors and being able to get away from college and the constant stress of senior year. Zion was a great escape to say the least. It was amazingly beautiful, with all kinds of rock formations, arches and testing hikes.

As a group we hiked up to Angels Landing, which is one of the main attractions of the park. I was surprised to learn that Mormons named everything (Mormons are a bit of a foreign concept in Australia) but apparently Angels Landing is where the angels would land if they come to earth. It is a fun hike, but also quite scary if you are afraid of heights.

There is a metal chain helping you as you scramble up to the top of the landing, but the scariest part was all of the other people trying to get past you or get down.

Another one of my favorite hikes was to Echo Canyon, which is where this photo was taken. After a few days we then drove to Bryce Canyon, which was also spectacular with crazy rock formations everywhere with some even still capped with snow.

Overall the trip was great and I feel rejuvenated and a bit more relaxed as I enter my final semester at C of I.

-Natasha Rooney

Natasha is a senior history major from Melbourne, Australia.