Das Haus

Other than finals weeks, I don't think I've seen my fellow Yotes more stressed out than during the week of Room Draw. Everywhere I went last week, I would run into someone frantically fretting over the number they had been assigned, worrying that their previous residential plans would now be undermined by sheer luck (or unluck) of the draw. Combined with the fact that the number of single rooms has dwindled since last year in preparation for the large incoming freshman class, my fellow sophomores seemed afraid for their futures, even moreso than I did during registration last semester. And while it's unfortunate that a few of my friends didn't exactly get the rooms they had been hoping for, I have to admit that I'm glad I didn't have to join them in their week of searching for roommates and filling out off-campus request forms.

Why? Because next year, I'm going to be living in my fraternity's shelter, or as we prefer to call it, the Delt Haus. She may not look like much from the outside, but there's nowhere better on campus to enjoy the company of friends.

One of the many perks of being part of a Greek organization here on campus is the extra housing options. Each fraternity at C of I has a house of its own, all of them in close proximity to the campus itself. In fact, each one is literally across the street from the College--a few steps forward and you're on school property, and depending on where you're located, really close to academic buildings. The Sigma Chis, for example, are a stone's throw away from Boone Hall and the McCain SUB, while the Delt Haus is convieniently located next to Anderson Hall, which is next to KAIC, where the majority of my classes are held. Although I'm technically going to be living off campus, this close proximity to it makes me feel like I still live on it.

Another perk is that I won't be living in a crowded dormitory building anymore. I'll have roommates, of course, consisting of eight of my fellow Delts, but we all have our own rooms, in addition to two kitchen areas, several bathrooms, and a communal sort of family room complete with comfortable couches, sturdy tables, and a decent sized TV for a few friendly games of Super Smash Bros. or Star Fox 64. Compared to the Sweet Suite I'm living in right now, it's got a lot more to offer, even if it's usually a bit on the disorganized side.

A few of my friends have expressed doubts that I'll enjoy living there, considering how many people like coming in and out and how late some of us can stay up on the weekends. But honestly, I can't wait for the experience. I know it's going to be much different than any place I've lived in the past, but living with my brothers is going to be worth any peeves I might develop. Yay for fraternal bonding!

Clayton is a sophomore creative writing major from Meridian, Idaho.