Finishing Up

My sophomore year is one day from its conclusion. My Friday afternoon French final means that it’ll be holding on to the bitter end, but aside from the hassle of moving out later that afternoon, I’m not too chuffed about it.  That’s because I’m again a little reluctant to leave the C of I, and all the people that come with it.

Right now my Facebook feed is full of freshmen, sophomores, and juniors wishing the College adieu till September. The seniors are saying thanks and farewell, but not a single person is saying good riddance. That’s because the College isn’t a place that you’d ever want to say good riddance to. 

I think for a lot of people, myself included, the College is another home. So when we leave it, whether for a few months or permanently, we leave with a sense of appreciation and gratitude. That’s not to say all the choices we made on campus were sound, or that all the memories are fond ones. But it is to say that we all do a lot of growing up here.

As I reach the halfway mark, I can tell that the College—meaning my friends, my profs, my classes, the events, the experiences, all of it—has already had a huge impact on me.  I thought I was grown up before I got here, but I wasn’t. I’m still not, which is a good thing because that means I get to spend two more of my (probably) most formative years in a place that supports and cares about me, but is also always ready to make me think. 

From Anderson for the last time,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a sophomore Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.