Chaos and life

I am sitting right now in my hotel room in Paltan Bazaar in Guwahati. It is somewhat surprising to think that a week ago, I was in Caldwell, ID, sitting outside my house, feeding my chickens.

By any definition, India is chaos. You look out of the balcony outside my hotel room (my hotel room window faces a construction site which is a meter away, I wake up to hammers and dust pouring in through the windows), and you see all the traffic, and people, and animals, and piles of garbage, and cars, and trucks, and you can not comprehend it at all. It seems like there is no order, no meaning to life here. But that is the surface. When I see the people, the cars, the mess, the clutter, I am reassured. Life is going on, and society is still stable, in a situation that would normally lead to anyone going insane.

India has been a reassuring fact of life for me, and I am pretty sure Mark would agree with me.

We are both sitting on beds, in our skivvies. While this stuff would never fly in America, there is no way you can survive in the heat here otherwise. Especially because we came from Idaho, where 70 is considered pleasant weather, and landed in India, where right now, the ambient shade temperature is 110. With humidity of 97%. So while it might not be in the bounds of propriety, what has to be done, has to be done.

Today was pretty run of the mill. There was nothing going on with the project, it being Sunday, and so Mark and I spent pretty much the whole day in our room. I have been reading all day, and it feels nice to get away from the usual “YOU have to read 500 pages by the day after, or you are buggered” attitude in college. Leisure reading is a luxury I am rarely afforded in college, and it is good to catch up on a nice book. We went out for dinner to this sad little Chinese place, and ate and boogied back. Heat is just a fact of life here, and you do what you can to avoid the worst of it.

-Rahul Sharma

Rahul is a senior art major from Jammu, India.