Voyages of a C of I Blogger

Blogging: the final frontier.

At least, I’m pretty sure that’s how that saying was originally supposed to go. It certainly feels like that to me, anyway. I’ve never undertaken a challenge quite like managing a blog before and, to be honest, I’m anxious to see how it goes. What you are reading now is my very first post; my blog’s maiden voyage, if you will. Because of that, I figured I should introduce myself in order for you to get an idea of what lies ahead the next few months. So, those of you tuning in, take a seat and get comfortable because we’re boldly going where … several other Yotes have gone before. Welcome to my College of Idaho experience.

My name is Ashley and I’ve been in Idaho my whole life. I live 30 minutes away from campus in a small, blink-and-you’d-miss-it town called Payette. Wonderful and boring all at once, Payette is always there to welcome me home. So is my cat Lady, who you see in the photo. I was attempting to take a picture to go along with the whole “Meet the Blogger” shtick and she decided to photo bomb. I kept it because it creates a certain allure of mystery about my true identity. Am I really a college student? Or am I just a simple housecat, bitter at society for my lack of proper education and opposable thumbs? The world may never know.

But, in actuality, I am a 19-year old student here at The College of Idaho, about to start my sophomore year. “Saying that makes me feel old!” I complained to my mother one night. She’d just rolled her eyes and told me to go make my bed.  Fair warning, incoming freshmen: the fact that you’re near two decades old, does not mean you get out of making your bed.

My first year at C of I was nothing short of amazing. I met some awesome friends, worked with some of the greatest professors, learned a whole new language (Parlez-vous français?), and made some memories that I’ll keep with me forever. Being a Creative Writing major, I get to spend the majority of my days doing the thing I love most in this world: Complex Astrophysiology. No, I’m just kidding, I get to write. But Astrophysiology totally sounds like a believable thing that’d we’d offer here.

When I’m not writing papers or doing homework, I’m watching movies. Fun Fact: I love movies more than a human person should love anything. And, similarly, making references to those movies in my day to day life. The obscurer the reference, the better. Seriously, my epitaph is going to read ‘Here lies Ashley, who kindly made the Grim Reaper wait while she told those seated around her deathbed what movie this reminded her of’. It’s kind of long, but I think it’ll work. I nearly fainted when I first heard the phrase ‘Free Movie Mondays’ muttered on campus. No, that isn’t a typo and no, you aren’t dreaming. All movies are free to C of I students at the local Reel Theatre on Mondays, because, frankly, Mondays suck and we’re broke college students.

I’m a big fan of sci-fi TV shows, the color green, comic books, and sarcasm. I wrote my entrance essay for C of I on the importance of the Harry Potter series and just recently started learning the ukulele. This summer, you’ll find me driving around town in the obscenely large van that houses the elementary school’s bookmobile or swimming at the pool. Admittedly, those things aren’t terribly important, but with this blog you’re getting an all-access pass to my life and that includes the good, the bad, and the boring.   

I think this is a good place to stop for now. I hear the beautiful sunshine calling my name and my pale, easily-burned skin yelling rudely at it to go away.  We have a long road of blogging ahead of us, dear readers, and I can’t wait to see what lies in store.

-Ashley A. Miller

Ashley is a sophomore creative writing major from Payette, Idaho.