No Heat In My Summer

This being my first blog post, it is a little introduction of who I am and where I am from.

I am a sophomore majoring in International Political Economy and my name is Keneuoe Mphutlane. It really sounds like “click click” to a lot of my friends at the C of I and I usually have to say it 5 times and change it just to make them feel better. I am from a small kingdom in the south of Africa called Lesotho and the youngest of 6 girls.

The summer break is more of a second winter break for me because I came home and this place is freezing. Even though I wish that explained the blankets worn by the men in the picture, it really doesn't. We figure our grandparents decided it was cool to wear their blankets throughout the year so blankets just became our thing, “A pride of our nation”.

I’ve often been asked whether I have a lion as a pet and as much as I wish I could own one, my response is usually the truth; “No, but I do swim in rivers and ride horses.” We do have an amazing wild life but when we wish to bask in the sun with crocodiles and walk majestically with elephants, all we need is to just cross the border to South Africa to visit their safaris.

I also squeezed in a little picture of my city at the corner of the collage because really, it is that tiny but that is where all the malls, which we refer to as “Smalls” are.

I guess all I am saying is that I am a blanket hogging, horse riding individual from a small city, with a lot of love for wild animals and I am looking forward to sharing my C of I experiences with you.

- Keneuoe Mphutlane

Kenny is a sophomore international political economy major from Maseru, Lesotho.