The next step

Well, this is my first blog post, so I feel the need to introduce myself. My name is Blake Kaufman, nice to meet you all. I am an incoming freshman coming from Summit High School in Bend, Oregon.

I'm coming to C of I because of a variety of things, but mainly because of all the oppurtunities I know I will have. I am interested in becoming an orthopedic surgeon, and when I first heard about C of I, I looked up the medical school acceptance statistics and I was very impressed. The next selling point was the swim team. I am a competitive swimmer, but wanted a program where I could get a scholarship, yet still allowed me to be a college student. The PEAK program is what really sold it. What other school would guarantee me to graduate with one major and three minors? None. 

As far as activities I do, like I said, I'm a swimmer. My goal is to make it to the Olympic Trials my senior year, and to make it to nationals this year as a freshman. Swimming is kind of a release for me. It's what alllows me to think about everything or nothing, depending on the day, and I am very excited to be able to swim at C of I. I also am participating in Campus Ministries, as I find it an opportunity to meet new people and talk about my beliefs. I play guitar, I love to ski, surf, wakeboard, heck, any sport that involves water. I'm a pretty adventerous person, so I am really stoked about the outdoor activity center.

Being a swimmer, I eat, a lot. I was very impressed with the Caf food on my recruiting trip. Out of all the schools I visited, C of I has had the best food with the most variety. While I was on my recruiting trips, I was able to go into Boise, and I was glad to see I was so close to a cool city, but not in it. Hopefully I will be able to explore the surrounding area. I found out that there's a Chipotle in Eagle, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

I already know my roommate, which is a pretty big relief. I met him during registration, and we kind of started planning from there. I've started buying all of my dorm gear, which is pretty exciting. I have a minifridge, microwave, Nespresso machine, TV, Xbox, all the typical college student stuff. The only thing I am not really looking forward to is spending a year sleeping in a twin bed, as I am 6'5".

While I still have over a month, I'm taking all the time I can to hangout with my friends and family. I know I will miss them a lot, but it is not necessarily goodbye. Luckily for me, my best friend is going to school five hours away at University of Idaho, and my parents are the same distance. I am also lucky enough to already have a good friend base because of the swim team, and I have already gotten the chance to hang out with them on a few different occasions.

I look forward to my next year as a freshman, learning new things, having great experiences, and meeting new people. Look for me on campus, I'm pretty hard to miss!

- Blake Kaufman

Blake is an incoming freshman from Bend, Oregon.