A Wild Blogger Reappears!

WiLD BLOGGER uses POST UPDATE! It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Why yes, I did just open up my first blog post of the 2013-2014 school year with a Pokemon reference. No, I don't think that's strange. They can't all open with Lao Tzu, right?

Hello to everyone again, both new and old readers! It's been a while, hasn't it? Last time you heard from me, I was complaining about my messy dorm room and listing out pros and cons of the end of the school year, and now I'm back home in Meridian all of a sudden? "What have you been doing all this time?!" some of you might be frantically yelling at your computer screens, grasping the sides of your monitors in some sort of crazed fervor. "How dare you not tell us what you're up to?"

Well, don't worry, dear reader. You're about to get all the details you could want, all in one, blog post sized package! Or perhaps it could be a...byte sized package?

But where are my manners? For all of you just joining the fun of following the Student Experience Blog, I'm Clayton Gefre, the same bespectacled gentleman that wrote for this very website during the 2012-2013 school year. Like Megan, I'm going to be a junior in the fall, and like Ashley, I'm majoring in Creative Writing. I'm very much a local--like I mentioned above, I'm from Meridian, Idaho, where you could literally cross a street a find yourself in Boise. It's only about 20 minutes from The College of Idaho campus on a slow traffic day, maybe 25 if you decided to make the trip during rush hour. The location of the campus was definitely one of the biggest draws for me to attend C of I in the first place; knowing my family is a short drive away when I'm at school is always reassuring.

If you kept up with the blog last year, you'll know that I'm very involved with our campus' Greek Life (as a proud member of Delta Tau Delta) and music department (as a member of every single choir on campus, including Chorale, Chamber Singers and the Vocal Jazz Ensemble). Quite a few of my posts are likely going to revolve around my adventures with all those groups, although those are certainly not the only things I take part in. I'm also the de facto photographer for Campus Ministries, a reporter for the school newspaper, the Coyote, a member of Writer's Co. and the RPG club when I have the time to attend the meetings, and starting this year, a writing tutor at the Academic Support Center (ASC). That's another good thing about C of I--it's just about impossible to not find an organization or club that you don't identify with or enjoy. If you're bored on campus at any point, you're doing something wrong, plain and simple.

After the school year ended at the last week of May, I made my way back to my parents' house in Meridian and moved comfortably back into my old room, my bed made with freshly laundered sheets and our spoiled family Chihuahua nipping at my heels wherever I went. Like many students tend to do at the very start of summer, I did a whole lot of nothing my first week back aside from sleeping in and wasting time wanting to go back to sleep. I could have returned to my summer job right away, but I could have been summoned for jury duty at any time during my first week back, and so pushed back my return to that job until my second week back. It's the same summer job I had last year, and the year before that, and even the year before that one. I wrote about it at length last summer--it's Marshalls, a retail store similar to Ross or Gordman's, but about 1,000% cooler than both those stores put together. I've managed to get quite a few hours this summer, which is good for my bruised bank account and personal sense of financial responsibility. As much as I might complain about all the time I've spent working there, I've honestly come to regard the place as a third home. I get along with all my coworkers now, which definitely wasn't the case when I first started there back in 2009, and that's something that makes a world of difference.

Other than working a whole lot, I haven't done very many out of the ordinary things. I've met up with old friends I hadn't seen in a while, did some housesitting while my parents were in Las Vegas, contracted pneumonia (yes, I got pneumonia in JULY, and I'm still on my antibiotics for it), and went on an adventure that started at a house party and eventually ended in an old school hangout session at a nearby Chicago Connection. It's a fun story that I might just tell you all about some other time.

Like always, you can expect a weekly post updating you on all my summer adventures, be they in retail or otherwise! The real fun will start at the end of August when I head back to Caldwell for the upcoming year, but in the meantime, I'll be sure to make some of my own fun.

Until next time!

Clayton is a junior creative writing major from Meridian, Idaho.