Step Into My Office...

I checked the weather for Caldwell the other day, and I have to say that I am glad to be kicking it in 80 degree weather in my home state of Oregon rather than in the triple digits. Luckily, the desert will be getting just about managable for a rainforest inhabitant like myself by the time school rolls around. 

In the meantime, I'm working about 50 hours a week, split between a job at Oxbow Park and selling (and eating) fresh berries at Farmer's Markets. I spend my whole workday outside, and once I get done, I usually stick around the park to go for a run through the old growth, sometimes followed by a swim or a quick float down the Sandy river. Aside from the recreation at my disposal, there are other perks: I get to see lots of wildlife: the occasional osprey, tons of squirrels, more songbirds than I think I'll be able to identify by the time summer is up, and deer, although they are more like giant dogs, eating off of picnic tables and laying in the shade chewing grass. People are for the most part very pleasant. It's about as good of a summer as anyone could hope for. It's flying by, but I have no complaints, and plenty to look forward to in the fall. 

- Claire Cushing

Claire is a sophomore pre-engineering major from Sandy, Oregon.