The Beauty of Giving

A lot of us get some sort of financial aid to cover our college tuition but we rarely look at how that affects our attitudes.  

During the summer break, I had the option of either staying in the U.S. and getting a campus job or going home. I would have had to get airfare and find a job back in Lesotho which would not even pay me half as much as what I would be getting in the U.S. Nonetheless, I flew home.  

My understanding was this: someone out there, who does not even know me, has deemed me important enough to give their hard earned money so I could receive the best education at the C of I. So why not do something for someone who is less fortunate than myself?  

Upon my arrival in my country, I contacted an NGO that had previously sponsored me to complete my International Baccalaureate in Swaziland and asked if I could be an intern over the break. They agreed. I then ran a winter campaign where I was able to source a hundred blankets and some clothing items for orphaned and vulnerable children.

God knows this place gets cold, it`s also known as the African country that snows. In addition to that, I have had the opportunity to share my story with those children, letting them understand that even though I lost both parents at a very young age, nothing would stop me from pursuing my ambitions.  

All C of I alumni, parents and friends who make their contributions to the different scholarship funds may not be aware of the greater impact their generosity has beyond putting a few kids through school. It trickles all the way down to the communities we come from, and for that, I thank and commend them. The most important thing to me is the influence that we have on people who surround us, even if it's just one person, because at the end of it all, the world really is a small place to effect change.  

- Keneuoe Mphutlane

P.S. The collage is a piece of my journey.  

Keneuoe Mphutlane is an International Political Economy major in her sophomore year.