Land of Milk and Honey

I remember telling my family and friends that I was going to study in Idaho and they had no clue where it was. Google images did sort of help but gave a rather vague idea of how the place is, ended up making people believe I would be staying in a deserted house by an old railway. Yes, there are a lot of mountains and rivers but it doesn't mean all we do is rafting and mountain climbing (Although I do highly enjoy both activities).

I have less than a week to go back and my Idahoan friends have already arranged a week of "Kenny Goes Camping" because they feel I did not really explore the place in my freshman year (Don't I just love them). Apart from that, I am stoked for the weekly soccer sessions that the international students have where we even get to form teams, compete and win cool prices. Also, winter nights by the bonfire are the greatest. We chant away beautiful and meaningless songs, imitate each other’s accents and talk endlessly about how amazing our countries are.

I even doubt there is a lot of colleges that have themed Bowling Nights every first week of the month. This one time, the theme was based on the presidential elections and I tried to look like Michelle Obama and I think I pulled off the First Lady look pretty okay (perhaps that is my fate?). I will also never forget the time we all went to the thrift store to get clothing for another Bowling Night and we just ended up predicted how people would look like in the next 40 or so years, it was hilarious.

As I write this, I can think of so many other things I am looking forward to that I never had the opportunity of experiencing but really, I can only write so much without the risk of sounding like a tourist brochure. However, I'll just add that I told a friend of mine about Idaho and how amazing it was, attempting to get her to come study at the C of I and she actually is coming this fall. The admissions office should probably offer me a job.

In simple terms, Idaho is just so serene and it blew my mind off.

- Kenny

Keneuoe Mphutlane is a sophomore from Lesotho, majoring in International Political Economy.