Last (Possibly) missive from India

So as I write this, I have 6 days left at home, and then I come back stateside. It has been an interesting last 3 months. A short summary would be that I flew from Boise to Kashmir, which took me 2 days. and then, 2 days later, I flew from Kashmir to Guwahati, to do my Davis Peace Project with Operation Smile. Coming back after almost a month, I stayed at home for 10 days and went to Leh to meet my old friend Sohum. Post that, I have been roving around the valley, in spite of the local troubles. (In my month and a half stay here, I have been witness to 2 extensive periods of curfews with shoot on sight orders to the military forces. Living on the wild side would be an understatement.)

india1

I got to spend a lot of time with my family (Or most of it. My brother is a high school senior and is doing his studies in Varanasi, a holy city for Hindus, through which the Ganges River passes). So I was with my Old Man and the Lady, eating proper vegetarian food made by the Lady after 2 whole years. (Salad, dressing and cheese is not vegetarian food. It is rabbit food. Real vegetarian food involves copious amount of deep fired spicy gravy filled goodness.)

india1

I got to process a lot of things. I almost registered for my classes. I have to register for another one, but it is kind of hard to get that done when I need a signature from a person 7,000 miles away. I got approved to do a honours course in my major, which leaves me pretty stoked, and pretty aggravated at the same time (I expected to coast in my senior year, after having taken most of my required classes in the last three years.). Ain't no rest for the wicked seems to be the regular phrase in my life right now.

india1

Now you might be wondering why you are reading me sum up my break? I don't know. I don't know why I am writing it either. Maybe out of a misplaced sense of duty and responsibility. I can make it worth your time though. I went to Naranaag, a small village of 50 that houses the ruins of a 6th century temple complex on the banks of the river Sindh (A corruption of which by Alexander led to the locals being called Hindus--Sindh-Hind, is it too hard to grasp?--and the country being called Hindustan in Urdu, Arabic, Persian and a few other tongues of occupiers.). I have attached photos. They are pretty. I am not too bad of a person now, innit?

india1

india1

Tally Ho

- Rahul Sharma

Rahul is a senior art major from Jammu, India.