On Saying Yes

A whole two years ago, when I was headed into my freshmen year, I tried to adopt the policy of saying “yes.” As in, I would say yes to whatever new experience was being offered up. Do you want to go rafting? Yes. Do you want to join a sorority? Yes. Do you want to go to this concert? Yes. Do you want to jump into this lake? Yes. Do you want to hang out and eat chips and salsa? Yes. Do you want to go to this party? Yes. Do you want to volunteer at this event? Yes. Do you want to write this article? Yes.

That year of Yes found me in a few places that are pretty outside of my character—i.e. in a lake at midnight—but actively trying to say “yes” to things certainly helped get the better of my usual reserve. I ended up making some great friendships, born out of common experiences. I won't pretend that saying “yes” didn’t sometimes land me in circumstances where I felt pretty awkward, but I would say that the net benefit outweighed the negatives.

Going into my junior year, I’ve found that I have forgotten to actively say “yes”. But I don’t feel too bad about it. I think I have the rhythm of college life down pretty well, and by now, I know what I enjoy and whose company makes me happy.  

And that’s what I’m looking forward to returning to—tried and true friends and tried and true activities. Freshman year might have been one of novelty, but my junior year, I know the drill.

I know who my friends are, and I know which ones are always up to eat 5 o’clock dinner with me. I know who my professors are, and I know what concerts are worth going to. I know what I like in the Caf, and I know routes to dodge sprinklers. I know that open mic nights usually go downhill after one hour, and I know to be early to any cultural dinner if I don’t want to stand in line for an hour. I know what tables I like to study at, and I know how long my laptop battery life actually is. I know how long it takes me to write 1,000 words, and I know not to be on the first bus to any off campus event. I know that the printer in KAIC will be out of ink for the last two weeks of the year, and I know that I’ll have to do all my homework ahead of time during formal recruitment. I know which professors hate work done in pen, and I know which neighborhoods are good for walks. I know never to eat lunch in the Caf at 11:40.

I’ve amassed these tidbits over the last two years, and I’m more than ready to put them to good use.

From Boise (for the last time 'til October),

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a junior Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.