Manifest Destiny

Life, dear readers, could not possibly get any better.

I’m still riding on a wave of excitement following my trip to Canada. Incredibly long story short, I was in the fair country for VanCon. For those of you who have no idea what the heck that is (and I don’t blame you, less than 0.1% of the population would), VanCon is a convention in Vancouver where fans of the TV show Supernatural  spend the weekend. Stars and writers from the show are there and you get to hang out with them, listen to discussions and attend panels. I won’t bore you with the details- seriously, do not ask me to talk about my trip unless you have a sizeable chunk of free time because I could go on and on for hours. It was, quite simply, the single greatest experience of my life.

I made the long road trip up to Vancouver with my good friend Kelli. Fun fact: Kelli and I met at C of I. We became friends on Facebook after a “College of Idaho: Class of 2016” page was started. Then, we found out we were going to be neighbors on Simplot’s 2nd floor. We bonded over our love of sci fi TV shows and the fact that social situations both make us break out in a nervous sweat. You may be asking why I’m going on about this, but there is point to it, I swear. Kelli and I had almost every class together, we went to the midnight premier of the new Star Trek movie during finals week, and generally just because amazing friends through the course of the year.

My point here is that Kelli and I never would have met if it weren’t for CofI. She lives 5 hours away in Washington and our paths never would have crossed otherwise.

To me, that is one of my favorite aspects about The College of Idaho: you are never alone. While it may be a campus on the smaller side, there is always someone else there who enjoys the same things as you. If you are as lucky as I was, the person you meet might be willing to go on a road trip with you across the border. It’s all about the effort you put into. You can’t hide yourself away in your room all year, despite how tempting that sounds to my inner recluse. Even something as simple as studying in the living room or in the library could help you meet new people.

In other news, I’ve officially begun the long, arduous task of beginning to pack for my long anticipated return to campus. I’m excited about the signed Supernatural poster that will now go up on my walls along with my picture of me and Misha Collins (sorry, last time I’ll gush about it. Unless, of course, you want to find me sometime next year and want to discuss how beautiful his eyes truly are. Spoiler alert, they answer is ‘breathtaking’). This time next week, I’ll be back in dear old Simplot with old and new friends.

And it truly feels like coming home again.  

-Ashley A. Miller

Ashley is a Creative Writing major from Payette, Idaho.