Coming Home

Only 6 days until I move back in! I’m so excited. I think my new roommate Katherine and I will have a great time, and I’ve been planning so that our dorm will look AWESOME next year. I’m living in Simplot, which should be great. I’m very happy that it’s close to the dining hall (though that won’t help me in keeping the Freshman Fifteen…or maybe the Sophomore Sixteen away). I am a little worried about getting lost inside because it’s a maze in there. But I’m sure I will learn my way around quickly. I’m going to be on the third floor again, which I am so happy about. No noise above you, and, call me crazy, but I actually like walking up the stairs. Plus, most of my friends are living in Simplot too!

I've been doing lots of stuff to prepare to go back. Sorting through and packing everything in my room has been a big job, and I've discovered that my mom and I have very different definitions of "clean." I luckily was able to leave a lot of my stuff in a storage unit in Boise, thanks to my wonderful aunt and uncle. So that will significantly decrease the amount of stuff in our car driving up. I had my last day of work at my summer job on Sunday. It was a great job - I worked with some really awesome people, it wasn't that hard, and I got to be outside and up in the mountains all day! What could be better than that? I've also been slightly nocturnal staying up until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, trying to finish all the episodes of Doctor Who before I go back to school (It's not looking so good, unless I have some marathon-doctor who-watching sessions). My family just laughs and me and I worry that I won't be able to go back to a normal sleep schedule, but I do it anyway.

I’m really excited for this year on campus. I’m going to be doing a lot of cool stuff. Writing for this blog is going to be really fun, especially because I will have someone other than my mom to tell about the crazy goings-on at C of I. I’m also going to be a student ambassador this year, which I am looking forward to. I love C of I so much, and I hope I get to share what love to inspire new students to come here. I will once again be involved as a Heritage Scholar, so that will mean lots of service hours and lots of homework, but also getting to do awesome stuff with the other Heritage Scholars. I’ll be taking lots of interesting classes, and preparing for my trip to France. I’m also hopefully going to be part of the choir and I might join the ski team! So this year will be packed for me, but that makes me even more excited to go back to my college home!

- Caitlin Fellows

Caitlin is a sophomore political economy major from Salt Lake City.